Friday, December 2, 2011

Back Home Again - Life's Wonders

After the better part of the week in our nation's republic's state's capital, it's good to be back home. Being away from the blogosphere for a while gives some time for reflection.

A few weeks ago I had dinner with my daughter on a Thursday night. She'd brought along her homework and, after eating, we worked on her lessons there in the BBQ restaurant. Following some math exercises, she moved on to another subject, which asked her to list things of wonder.

She, in turn, asked me about things of wonder in my life.

My list included:
  • Witnessing my children being born. (Actually, I was not in the delivery room for one, but was able to see him shortly after delivery.)
  • Enjoying the beauty of my wife as she carried said children. (I always believed she was beautiful, just more so at those times.)
  • Having parents who are still alive, and married.
  • Living half a century in good health - I know, it doesn't seem a big thing, but not everyone does.
I guess a lot of times I'm possibly more inclined, or at least as much as, to carry a mental list of the hurts or disappointments - to what purpose?  So, I appreciated the opportunity, in this season, to reflect and give thanks for the many blessings in my life.

3 comments:

Kathleen... said...

Awesome post, Donald. =) I'll bet your Daughter always remembers that conversation too....<3

aroundthecorner said...

Well said Don, makes us all sit back and reflect a bit.

Anonymous said...

Bah Humbug!

Dew