Sunday, December 18, 2011

Il Manifestus Mio

  • I've been making notes all week since I didn't have time to actually post - thankfully for you, I won't use them all at once.
  • Every time I saw a deer crossing sign this week, I had the urge to get some of those red LED bike flashers at the dollar store, drill a 1/4" hole through the sign with a cordless drill and mount the flasher behind the deer's nose.


  • Even though it's not specifically prohibited in the 10 commandments - I figured it was better to practice self discipline and go about my business. 
  • TxDoT likely would not have been amused.
  • Regarding the researchers looking for the Higgs bosun 'God particle' - I have an idea for a sit-com pilot about the wacky travails of some geeky quantum physics scientists: Bosun Buddies.
  • Probably would still be better than 75% of reality TV programming.
  • Meanwhile, Japanese scientists are tagging and releasing wild monkeys near the Fukushima (do not repeat 5 times fast) nuclear reactor, to determine the propagation patterns of radioactivity.
May or may not be actual Japanese test subjects...
  • Of course, we know how that will turn out.
  • Time magazine has named 'the protestor' as its person of the year.
  • What, exactly, has 'the protestor' accomplished?  He/she apparently doesn't do much work.
  • El Chupacabra wrote recently of an encounter with a woman whose husband didn't or wouldn't work.  I see a fair amount of that these days.
  • He noted that work is what men do - work at something we may not like until we can get to something we can tolerate or even enjoy - but work nonetheless to put food on the table, gas in the cars, etc.
  • Here's a guy who worked:

  • Another guy who works, from before sun-up, in hot and cold, dust and rain, is Around the Corner, whom I had the honor of meeting this afternoon by coincidence at the sporting goods store as I was running errands.
  • Of course I was dressed like a bum since I had just gone out to get oil/filter @ Wal-Mart for an upcoming oil change and ducked into the sporting goods store to get a quick Christmas present for one of the kids.
  • Nonetheless, it was a pleasant surprise to make W's acquaintance, though I regret that, in my haste to get to other stops, I missed meeting Mrs. W. 
  • Rats!
  • Well, it's getting late, I gotta make sure my sneakers are dry for going to the car wash tomorrow.
  • As in, I get to go to the car wash tomorrow.   ;-)

10 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

My friend, you were not dressed like a bum, and the ONLY reason you didn't catch me in a pair of overalls is because we had just came from Church, 6 hours prior to meeting you. It was our pleasure meeting you and hope to do so again soon.

Anonymous said...

@ Around,

From someone who has spent copious amounts of time with "The Donald" and who continues to do so in masochistic fashion.
Consider yourself warned.

Dew

Jarhead™ said...

It's pretty disappointing meeting him in person, huh?

an Donalbane said...

@ Dew - Been leafing through the thesaurus again?

@ Jar-Jar - Hey! You haven't met me in person. I mean, if you had, then, yeah, you'd probably say that, but no fair sayin' it before...

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what you mean by thesaurus but if it has lots of pictures in it, then yes!

Dew

el chupacabra said...

I'm probaby going to get you in trouble, but why drill holes through the sign?

Isn't that why Thomas Edison invented Super Glue?

While you're at it- attach some Raisinets cascading out it's backside.

an Donalbane said...

CK - excellent point. I'm off to the dollar store now...

May or may not get Raisinets.

Kathleen... said...

Ohhhh, I love the deer sign temptations! =)

And hey, you can't complain about lookin' like a bum when you met Mr. Corner. A) the time you saw me I was hoofing it like a popsicle on crack, and B) you didn't stop to meet me!!!

Dew makes me laugh.

Kathleen... said...

Oh, and true BUMS who don't work, but rather live off their women aren't Men. Pfft.

an Donalbane said...

Obi - Sorry about that. But Mr. Corner was in a store with lots of people, and I was able to get a good enough look to determine he looked like the pics from his post before I [potentially] made a fool of myself.

When I saw you out walking, at 25 mph or so¹, and at greater distance, I could only circumstantially deduce from the location, that it was you.

The downside risks were greater as well - a woman (well, anyone)would find it odd for a stranger to stop their car and come walking toward, with possible reactions of:
1)"Get away, weirdo!" (what I would say to Dew - and I already know him), 2)"I just dialed 911, creep!", or 3)"[Bang!"].


¹ - An 'unclear antecedent' clause: It's not established whether Obi was walking at 25 mph, or that was my driving speed.