Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Randomosities, Part Deux

  • A news tidbit on my Fox.mobi said Unsafe Sex More Likely After Drinking, Study Confirms.
  • Sheesh!  Ya suppose?  Wonder how much that study cost, and who paid.  Nah, I don't really want to know.
  • After yesterday's pizza-fest, I thought today I'd aim for a lunch in the sub-thousand calorie range, so I drove to the Kroger near my office for a can of hundred-some-odd calorie vegetable beef soup.
  • On the magazine aisle, the Cosmo cover shouted "50 Ways to Kinky Sex", or something like that.
  • Nice.  (Edit: Frequent/perceptive readers will note the sarcasm.)
  • In 1996, should've been Supreme Court jurist Robert Bork's book Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline was published.
  • Slouching towards Gomorrah?  Slouching? I don't believe it.
  • We're running headlong towards it.  Like that guy in the Impala with the jet engine.
  • The last Lockheed Martin F-22 rolled off the assembly line today.  From a once projected build out of 750 aircraft, iteratively reduced to 438, 339, then 277 - the final count was 187.  Wonder if they'll actually get used, or end up being too expensive to deploy, and, adding insult to injury, sent to Davis-Monthan to bake in the sun?

  • Are two UAV incidents in the past week coincidental to the end of the F-22, and threats to the JSF/F-35 program? Jet driver, author, patriot, blogger Thunder Tales is not so much the fan of UAVs replacing manned missions, but they are part of the arsenal, and will probably become more so.
  • In other aviation news, Southwest has ordered $19B worth of the latest, most fuel efficient B737s.  Not that I have occasion to fly them on my current job, but I'm a fan of the airline.
  • Having brushed up a couple of days ago on Braniff history, though, I hope that Southwest's finances will support those purchases. 
  • Scientists at CERN in Switzerland believe they are close to finding the Higgs bosun 'God particle', in the neighborhood of  114.4 and 131 gigaelectronvolts (GeV), using the 17 mile long Hadron supercollider.  They specifically think it might be hanging out at 126 GeV.
  • That's probably not where I would've looked - but, hey, I spent an hour and a half Sunday and Monday nights looking for my second pop rivet tool since the first one was missing the proper nosepiece I needed for the mandrels I was using - so, who am I to say?
  • I'd hate to have their Reliant Electric bill for that search.  And I found my riveter.
Bosun whistle
  • Couldn't they just whistle for it?
  • One more thing: I think they may have it backwards - God isn't the smallest thing in the Universe - He's the largest.
  • On History Detectives tonight, Wes Cowan and  Professor Tukufu Zuberi (née Antonio McDaniel) follow a story about .45 caliber slugs that were allegedly removed from the bodies of outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.  It turned out that they were not from the fusillade that ended the robbers' careers, but apparently had been used to exonerate Bonnie's sister of the murder of police officers near Grapevine, Texas.
  • I've been aware of the significance of that intersection, NE corner of Dove Road and TX-114 in current day Southlake, for about 25 years.  Also, Clyde's sister used to be a regular exhibitor at area gun shows, selling books or memorabilia.
  • While I was blogging last night, I heard dry leaves rustling (Rustling leaves?  Through the Vatican?  Kinky.) outside my window, so I went out to investigate.  I found a possum, probably about 6-8 lbs, wandering about.  He ambled off, in no great hurry, when I was shining a flashlight in his eyes from two feet away.
  • I wouldn't hear him tonight, as the leaves are wet.
  • To further atone for yesterdays pizzapalooza, I had a baked potato with just a bit of olive butter and some julienne ham strips for dinner.

    3 comments:

    aroundthecorner said...

    I'm gonna use the "pizzapalooza" on Whit next week. Thanks

    el chupacabra said...

    I concur with your observation on the God particle- I thought as I spent 15 minutes looking for my car in a relatively small parking lot where I've been parking for months...

    On watching Land Of The Giants Zac asked,"So, the giants are like God and the little people are like us?"

    Jet drivers are always gonna knock UAVs- that is their perspective and they're threatened. I don't blame them. It doesn't mean their view is correct, but I don't blame them. The UAVs, when actual bombing is discounted do 90% of the work, for less than 25% of the cost with zero human risk.

    And yes- I am a military and mathematical genius. Why do you ask?

    an Donalbane said...

    Not to put words in his mouth, but I think Ed's perspective is in the context that GameBoy pilots don't deserve the same respect as those, like him, who've flown deep into hostile territory facing MiGs, SAMs & AA fire, as well as equipment malfunctions.

    Totally true.

    But, although the air warrior can't and shouldn't be entirely replaced, tech advances now allow, and budgets demand, many of the benefits that the UAVs can provide.

    I'm a big fan of them, but, as we've seen the last week or so, they're not infallible.