Thursday, March 1, 2012

Rolling toward the weekend

With good news!
  • Oldest son got the cellphone situation resolved today.  I spent an hour the phone last night with two representatives.  One sounded Pakistani/Indian, the other Asian; the first was transferring me to a supervisor when the call got 'dropped' (I don't think it was intentional) - when I called back to ask to go directly to the supervisor, I had to recite the whole story again, but ultimately the second rep worked with the super to satisfactorily resolve my issue.  I think.
  • I'm going to have to tell Mr. Edwin Moore, a refugee from Ghana, that I cannot in good conscience accept his offer to manage his $35 million portfolio.  I was a bit surprised that, with all the well-qualified (with all the appropriately impressive initials after their names) investment advisers out there, he would choose me, but I guess he's a good judge of character.  Nonetheless, I think it's best for both of us that I decline.
  • I had the day off today, so I invited my Dad to go to the shooting range this afternoon.  I had some errands to run, so we agreed on a time for him to come by my house.  He arrived before I thought he would, and in my haste (or lack of prior planning) I forgot to pack the percussion caps for the blackpowder revolvers I'd planned to shoot.  Bummer!
Due to owner's forgetfulness, this one didn't get to play today.

  • Not to worry, I'd tossed a .22 in my range bag.
  • Dad had developed some .45 ACP target loads (using 3.5, and 4.0 grains of Trail Boss behind a 192 grain hardcast SWC).  He wanted to make sure they would cycle the action of his WWII-era 1911. They worked flawlessly - no misfires or stovepipes, and very, very mild recoil.
  • While we were there, there were three 'hot chicks' on the pistol range.  The Range Officer stayed with them, coaching. 
  • At first, I was amused, thinking the R.O. doesn't usually spend this much time down here on the pistol range, and those girls are young enough to be his granddaughters.  But I later surmised that they were not actually members, and the R.O. and another shooter were actually being hospitable toward 'newbies', something that doesn't happen at every range.
  • Here's some precision shooting:


  • Made a batch of potato/carrot/celery soup tonight.   Delicious.  Campbell's would love to have my recipes - but the truth is, I don't have any - I'm a Steinsuppe kinda cook, and just use what I have on hand.
  • I hate wire shirt hangers - you try to get them off the closet rod and they all want to bind up.
  • Will probably end up with more of them soon.  I have to take several shirts to the tailor for new buttons since my dry cleaner has broken so many.  Yeah, I suppose I could sew them on myself.
  • I found the percussion caps when I got home.

    1 comment:

    el chupacabra said...

    Re: Mr. Edwin Moore- dude, don't be such a sissy. You'll never get anywhere in life if you don't start trusting just a little.