Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mittwoch

That's German for Wednesday.
  • Literally, mid-week.  No, no umlauts required.
  • I'm drained today.
  • A work colleague retired today after 34 years.  Now we'll have six people doing the work that probably needed eight to do properly.
  • I'm third oldest now among the six remaining.   Aaargh!
  • Got a text today telling me that unauthorized change had been made to my cellphone account.  Around the same time I noticed a missed call from the cellphone company.
  • Returned the call, but no answer, so I dialed 611, where I could scarcely understand the guy who was either from India or the 'hood.  He couldn't give me information about what changes had been made because I didn't have a password. 
  • I told him I'd never needed a password to make my monthly online payments for the last 10 months.  He still would not give me any information.  Grrr.
  • "So, someone can make changes to my account that will result in a monthly increase, without a password - but I can't get information without it?"
  • That was the end of that conversation.  I called and got a different representative a few minutes later, who spoke normal English, and cancelled the changes.
  • For some reason, I had always thought the cathouse in Aurora/Boyd was east of Tater Junction.  Guess I've not been as observant as I thought.
  • Would you pay $800 for this?   It claims 5 patents, but is essentially a modern Derringer. I like the idea of two spares in the grip, but otherwise I'm unimpressed.
  • My new disposer shipped today.
  • A little less so today:
  •  I still haven't done my Academy Awards post.
  • First world problem.  With pictures.  Obviously, these women do have their priorities.
  • Since I was a kid, I've considered Jack in the Box to be an 'also-ran' in the fast food segment.
  • I think they may now be a solid player, 99¢ tacos notwithstanding.
  • I the past month, I've eaten at two of their restaurants, and both times was asked "How was your last visit?", seemingly in earnest, which is important.
  • If they've empowered the counter staff to do something useful in the event of a negative response, I'd say that's good marketing.
  • I revamped some of the CDs in the car changer, among them The Best of Neil Young.  After hearing Hey Hey, My My, Daughter said, "That was awesome!"
  • Artistry in metal and wood, also awesome:
Can I go back to the 19th century, please?
  •  The above is an Italian copy of a Remington Model 1858 percussion revolver.  Perhaps not as popular as the 1851 and 1860 Colts, but a much better gun, due to its fully enclosed cylinder (solid topstrap frame).
  • Colt came around, with the design of the 1873 Army centerfire cartridge revolver, widely known as the Peacemaker.  Remington updated the 1858 to fire cartridges in their 1875, and later, 1890, models.  The founders of both companies died about six months apart: Eliphalet Remington in August 1861, and Samuel Colt in January 1862.
  • The 1858 was also manufactured as a revolving carbine - I'll put up a pic in a future post.
  • Had to dodge truck tire casings on 287 between Rhome and Avondale-Haslet Road. I felt like a test driver.
  • Found out late this afternoon that the changes on my cell account were made by oldest son, who'd lost his phone (but hadn't mentioned it to me when he dropped by to borrow a welder last night).  Unfortunately, in the confusion, the carrier had cancelled his number.  Ugh!
  • We'll see how this works out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How hard ... wait

How much time did you spend looking for this "cathouse"??


Dew

el chupacabra said...

I'll be watching for the red light...

Jack In The Crack on main in Weatherford is always nasty. The one on 20 and Clear Lake across from the truck stop is always very good.

an Donalbane said...

@ Dew - Don't go getting your 'hopes' up: www.bigcat.org

@ Chup - Agreed, I don't think I'll return to the one on S Main - took about 20-25 minutes to get my food when I was in there about 3 months ago.