Friday, February 24, 2012

The Week In Review

For a short week, it lasted a long time.
  • On the radio today, an ad for a lake lot development in East Texas, trying to liquidate some repo lots - the announcer had the most awful New York (Bronx or Brooklyn, I'm not sure which) pronunciation.  Wonder how that works with the target audience.
  • Carpetbagger.
  • To me it was like fingernails on a blackboard.
  • Or listening to Dew karaoke.
  • I understand the Baker Hotel restoration is in 'off-again' phase.
  • First world problem - the 'horror' of getting a bad tip from a restaurant customer.  Sure, this may be boorish behavior, but 'gross' and 'appalling'?  Gimme a break.
  • The point of equilibrium between Dallas based KLUV-FM and Amarillo's Jack-FM signals is near Bellevue.
  • Anyone remember that there used to be a herd of camels somewhere along 287 in that area?  I saw a 'high fence' ranch west of Bellevue - though I can't imagine that the camels would be considered exotic game.  No one wants to display a camel head in their trophy room, but the feet are regularly exhibited, and sometimes suitable for mounting.
  • I had thought that since the ranch was near Vashti, Texas, that maybe they were some leftover Pakistani camels, until I learned the name was from an early postmaster in that area, and that historically, Vashti is the wife of King Ahasuerus in the Book of Esther.
  • Another one of my great theories down the drain.

  • On one of the interweb 'news' sites the other night I read of a young woman who was feeling glum because she was considered a sl*t for having slept with 75 men from the time she was 18 until she was 22. 
  • I suppose she could console herself by instead using the term 'extremely accessible'?
  • Looks like I get to replace my kitchen disposer this weekend - it's seemingly sprung a leak that occurs when the dishwasher drains into the appliance.  Luckily, I had a Rubbermaid plastic tote under the sink with cleaning supplies that caught the water.
  • Seen last weekend:
  • I'm down with that.
  • Daughter last weekend asked if she could get her ears pierced: "Mom says I have to get your permission before she'll let me get them pierced."
  • I used the phrase "as old as dirt" the other day - my colleague one-upped me with a term I'd not heard before "old enough to remember when the Dead Sea first got sick".
  • Not sure why Weatherford is building/has built a loop around the north side of town.  Not criticizing, just don't understand it.
  • Seen 'tween Vashti and Crafton:
Heck, feels like I done died an' went to Kintucky...

    8 comments:

    aroundthecorner said...

    We look for those Camels when we go through there.
    Re 75 girl: Hey that's just one man every 19.5 days. What's wrong with that. If it were you and me, we would be proud that we got laid every 19.5 days back then :-)

    todd said...

    I see the toes of the camels being exhibited pretty often.

    (Had to beat Dew to that one.)

    an Donalbane said...

    Dew has been slow to swing at the easy pitches lately.

    Anonymous said...

    There were camels around Henryetta rest stop and past Iowa park.


    Work has my wires crossed.

    Dew

    todd said...

    I can't keep up with whether Dew is pitching or catching, Don.

    an Donalbane said...

    ...and what's with him 'cross-dressing' at work?

    el chupacabra said...

    There was somebody on 287 closer to Decatur that had a camel and an elephant when I was a boy. Dad knew however it was and took me there and put me on the stupid camel. I'd slide down it's neck and it would get mad, bellow and turn around and try to bite me. My dad laughed until tears were literally rolling down his face.
    It wasn't funny.

    The End

    an Donalbane said...

    @ Chup - No, of course, that would've been seriously unfunny.

    I would never laugh at that...unless, you know, I had been there watching it...