Thursday, February 16, 2012

Almost the weekend...

Hey, Monday's a holiday!
  • Rain in the forecast, in time for the weekend.  Bummer.
  • Don't you love doing business with companies whose right hand knoweth not what its left hand doeth?
  • Example: Last night, I went online to pay my cell phone bill, which is due today.  A message popped up telling me the web payment system was down for maintenance, but I could call an 800# and a friendly associate would help me.  I started to do just that, but when I reached the standard robot customer service tree, decided to just try on line in the morning.
  • This morning, the system back up, I logged on and paid without any problems, received a confirmation at the end of the session, as well as a follow up confirmation email.
  • About 1-1/2 hours later, I got a SMS thanking me for my payment.  (It's nice to be appreciated.)
  • At lunch, another SMS, reminding me that I have a payment due today. (Hey, where's the love?)
  • Idiots.
  • And no, it wasn't a partial payment or in arrears in any way.   I'm no database architect, but it seems they should fix that. I'd seen that happen before, so I wasn't concerned, but I can imagine some customers would be pretty offended.
  • My co-worker today provided a concrete example of how a wife bolsters a husband through affirmation, as per the prior post video.
  • Just before lunch (a group lunch, not  just the two of us), she called him and was saying the sweetest things to him - genuinely, not manipulatively.  I've never met him, but have talked with him on the phone briefly (he's a 'shooty' guy) and he seems a good guy, in addition to the good things my co-worker says about him.
  • I bet he felt like Superman when he got off the phone with her.
  • One of the retailers I shop does a lot of its sales by internet.  Even though it has a modest network of retail stores, it does not offer a 'Ship-to-store' option, and the store selection is considerably more limited than their overall catalog.
  • Seems kinda dumb to me.  They send me two or three flyers a month to try to lure me to their stores.  They have trucks delivering to their stores once or twice a week. If I have to go to their store to pick up something ordered, I might just buy something else while I'm there.
  • Since I would've already paid online, there's no payment risk (any different from ordering for home delivery).  If I don't pick up what I've ordered and paid for, they can put it on the sales floor, or on a future truck back to the distribution center.
  • I should note that this merchandise is not customized, perishable, or easily damaged in transit.
  • Like I said, it seems like a marketing mis-step.
  • True love ways?  I bought a diamond...coated blade for the oscillating multi-tool, in preparation for some re-tiling projects on the showers.  I've picked up some cool bullnose travertine strips, as well as some florentine-relief border tiles.  Still trying to find some field tile [cheap] that I like.
  • Tuna casserole tonight - one of my best in a long time.  Not a recipe I make often, but this one was pretty good - tuna and salmon, macaroni and shells.
  • I don't have trouble falling asleep, but don't always feel rested in the morning.
  • Recently, I bought some herbals with Melatonin, Valerian root, and Chamomile.  If I take one of those at bedtime, I wake up the next morning and haven't moved a bit overnight.
  • I don't dare take two - might not wake up.
  • I've received a couple of ads for a nearby company called Wall Beds.  The things you and I know as Murphy beds.  I'd like to check those out.
  • But, I wonder if you can simply fold up an unmade bed? That'd be da bomb!
  • I'm not an overly enthusiastic bed-maker.
  • Co-worker today told me she'd had a significant life change after reading Charles Stanley's  Landmines in the Path of the Believer: Avoiding the Hidden Dangers ISBN 1-4002-0090-3.  May have to see if they have that at HPB.
  • 101 100 uses for a dead cat.
  • Hey, there may be hope for me yet!

    5 comments:

    aroundthecorner said...

    My friend, according to the "powers to be" you have no problem looking good.
    One of the places that I make an online payment to, always send a confirmation email, then the next day I will receive an email saying the payment is due. Then I call and it takes 20 minutes to get it all worked out. Pain in my butt.

    Anonymous said...

    @ Around

    He may seem humble and self depreciating but the Donalds theme song is from Mac Davis:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKEnVOuOOOE

    Dew

    Jezz, now you gotten me thinking of old songs!!!!

    todd said...

    Huh huh. You said arrears.

    an Donalbane said...

    Dewd, it's Rodeo Clown, not It's Hard to be Humble!

    an Donalbane said...

    @ RTB - Ya know, when I was writing that post, the little voice in my head (kinda like Magnum P.I.'s little voice, but not as good looking) said Hey there The Donald Roseanna Danna, don'cha know that if you put that word right a there, the Dew or that Pastor Todd gonna make a some kinda stupid comment on it?

    And I replied to the little voice, "Yes, I'm certain of it."