Thursday, February 2, 2012

...and kibbles

  • Sienna and I opted to sleep indoors last night when I found that the movers' blanket that I use to drape over my outdoor recliner (and under my sleeping bag and comforter) was drenched with condensation.
  • We went for a walk before bedtime.  For once she didn't try to do anything rude in someone else's yard.  I think we both need more frequent exercise.
  • Oldest son texted me this morning: 100 on his electrical schematic/symbols test last night.  This was especially encouraging to me, since it has so far not been his favorite class.
  • It appears a concrete mixer truck may have overturned on 287 south of Bowie near the motocross track today, although it was upright when I drove by it.
  • The storm before the calm - me racing up on the roof to see why there was leakage around a PVC vent pipe.  A small gap between shingles above the plastic/rubber flashing/boot.
  • Cut some fresh shingles and patched them in.  In the dark.  Before it rained.  No broken bones.
  • Even cleaned up the shingle knife with mineral spirits, gathered and threw out the scraps, and put away the ladder.  First time for everything, I suppose.
  • They stocked the pond with Rainbow Trout for a Kid Fish event two weeks ago.  Two days later the rains probably washed every last one downstream.

  • Oldest son called as I was writing: 100 on shop practices test also. 
  • He wants to buy a scooter (Ruckus or Zuma) to commute to school - thinks it'll save gas over his F-150.
  • Well, yeah.  But I'm not exactly enthralled by the idea.  Too many crazy drivers out there.
  • Sure, when I was a kid, I had a Suzuki Trail 80, a Yamaha 100 Enduro, a Honda CB 350 (in college, when I weighed about 165), and about 15 years ago, a Yama Virago 750 that sat in the garage for about five years - Why do you ask?  But there weren't any texting drivers back then.
  • Renewed my Shooting Times subscription recently - received an issue yesterday, and one today.  It's like Christmas!
  • The shooting press runs in cycles - they seem to be gaga about .380s again.
  • Seriously?  I have one that I bought new in 1983 at the Grapevine Wal-Mart (before it moved to Southlake and back to Grapevine).   No desire to buy another, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.  I do kinda like the Ruger LC9 (with LaserLyte), as well as the new Beretta Nano, if I were to buy a 9mm. 
Nano, not Nanu!

That's better.
  • The Nano would be über cool if it were .357 Sig, but I don't know if that platform can handle the pressure, and recoil profile. 
  • The same ST issue features an article on .300 H&H in a Ruger #1.  Very elegant cartridge, albeit way more than any of my present or anticipated near-term hunting requires.  And am a huge fan of the #1 as well as its Dakota Arms cousin.
.300 H&H Magnum and .30-'06 Springfield


Kids [and Yankees], I said "Get off my lawn!"

 

Alright, you Yankees can stay.
  • My walking partner from last night apparently now thinks this is something we should do every night.
  • After listening to WBAP this morning, I'm cutting back on the sugar in my tea and coffee, and going to try to exercise more.
  • OK, Sienna, I guess it's the leash we can do...

4 comments:

el chupacabra said...

How long could the trouteses live with these temps anyway?

I would know I had finally arrived when I could put a cannon in front of my house.

"Get offa my lawn kid!'

todd said...

Can't believe I read that whole thing...but don't be hatin' on my .380.

Chup, how many esses are in "trout"?

an Donalbane said...

RIF Todd, RIF! FUNdamental.

Although, at times, my writing is simply...mental.

an Donalbane said...

Chup - I'm guessing that the kind of trout[ses] they raise and release here are probably acclimated to the temp ranges.

I'll have to ask the Parks & Rec director what fishery/hatchery they use. PK appears to be the closest.