Monday, February 27, 2012

Another workweek

That is, if you have a job.
  • Disposer project on hold.  Went to HD, Lowes, Wal-Mart, Sears and Ace Hardware over the weekend, as well as a lot of online research.  Nobody carried retail stock of the Waste King brand, so I couldn't see one up close - was going to order from Sears or Wally World, but the former doesn't ship [that brand] to store, and the latter was even out of online stock.
  • Ordered elsewhere and saved $40 - also found out it's the same brand Mom & Dad replaced theirs with, and they've been happy with its performance.
  • I hate to see Sears going down the tubes, but man, they just don't seem to keep up.  Their stores are dowdy, and at the mall I went to, lack even automatic door openers. 
  • On the plus side - while I was there, I passed through the menswear department and found a shirt I liked on clearance, plus an additional 20% discount if I used my Sears card.  Searching my wallet, I found I hadn't transferred said card to 'new' wallet 3-4 years ago, but the checkout girl said she could look it up for me if I had ID.
  • It'd been so long since I'd charged anything at Sears, that the account had closed, so she opened me a new one.  With a new account comes a 'spiff' - so my new shirt ended up being free.
  • Weird.
  • Shoulda gotten two shirts.
  • Speaking of which, I was at GV Mills Mall a couple of weekends ago with Daughter.  We walked into a Van Heusen store that was having some serious discounts, and I looked at some dress shirts.
  • Friendly twit kid came over and helpfully offered that "That top number is the neck size, and the other one is the sleeve length.  I can measure you so you'll know your size." ¡Muchas gracias a Dios, Héctor! for that advice - I don't know how the heck I've managed to purchase clothing for myself for the last 30 plus years without that tidbit.
  • No, actually I was very gracious, quietly thanked him, and kept shopping.
  • 16-1/2 x 35, in case you wanted to know.
  • Also had to replace a smoke alarm over the weekend.
  • Whatever happened to SNL's Victoria Jackson?
  • I thought you'd never ask:

  • It's refreshing when an entertainment type is not a liberal weenie.
  • Daughter is fascinated by the quarter-pusher (ledges/wedges) game at one of the mall stores.  I explained to her that the house always wins in the long run.
  • Kids don't understand the term 'economic dislocation'.
  • I later researched the machine online - even found an operating manual .pdf.  The factory preset on the game is a 72% field payout, which can be adjusted by raising or lowering the height of the lip (ledge), and I think the width of the play field can be varied as well.
  • Nominally, one might expect a 1:1 ratio of coins played to coins paid once the playing surface area is full, but it appears to my unscientific, yet keen powers of observation, that the stacking of the coins (in addition to the elevation/width variables) is the main driver of the house advantage.  I didn't see anyone [myself included] walk off with as many quarters as they started with.
  • I'm not much the fan of gambling.
  • Received an email this afternoon from Harbor Freight: Giant Tool Sale!
  • They were normal size.
  • The Wyoming legislature has approved by voice vote the creation of a state continuity task force if the Federal government collapes (yeah, I know that once seemed far fetched).  I applaud their efforts, but don't quite follow the logic of WY commisioning an aircraft carrier
  • What would be its home port?
  • If there truly is a need for a water-based defense force, they could equip me with a Grumman canoe and a stainless Marlin Guide Carbine, and I'd be happy to practice manuevers on the North Platte between Riverside and Saratoga (OK, could even go all the way to Casper if they'll let me hunt pronghorns along the way) during the warm weather months.

    1 comment:

    el chupacabra said...

    Regarding the Wyoming Task Force thing: The longer I live the more I believe if we make and build things, get control of waste and fraud and mind our own beeswax a little more the rest will take care of itself- we won't have to worry post apocalyptice preparations.