Friday, September 21, 2012

Pride without prejudice

Have you ever met someone who was always right?  Not necessarily obnoxious, but always with an answer, brilliantly reasoned, and reasonably well articulated, for everything?

I'm sure we all have.

A discussion about Pride in a study group I'm in gave rise to the thought: "What would be the effect of years of contact with such a person?"  Would it give rise to resentment, loathing, anger?

I'm not saying I know the answer, but it was an interesting discussion.  Here are some references to Pride.
 
From Scripture: Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice. - Proverbs 13:10  Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. - Proverbs 16:18

Literature: "The essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride.  Unchastity, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere flea-bites in comparison: it was through Pride that the devil became the devil.  Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind." - C. S. Lewis

From the King of the Road: It's my belief Pride is the chief cause in the decline in the number of husbands and wives.


Edit: I originally posted a Ringo Starr version of Roger Miller's song which I first became acquainted with through Neil Diamond.  But this version is better, I think. 

And, of course, no S116 blogpost is complete without a Henley reference, where apropos: Pride and competition cannot fill these empty arms.

 True that.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Knowing who you work for, you should have a lot to say on this issue.

an Donalbane said...

Not sure I follow, Dew.

The point I hoped to make was that I'm trying to be a better listener (in the event I've been the person described in the post's first paragraph) and less concerned with being defensive, so that maybe, just maybe, this old dog can be taught some new tricks...

Unknown said...

My point was your predilection for logorrhea and your bosses destructful pride would be a perfect storm for observations from you.

an Donalbane said...

Gee, Dew, 'predilection', 'logorrhea'? You been shopping in the clearance bin of the lexicography store again? Besides, wasn't it you who told me you'd found a creme to help prevent predilection, and that you successfully treated a case of logorrhea with antibiotics?

I hear where you're coming from, bro - but in keeping with the tone of the post, I'm refraining from pointing out the splinter in someone else's eye, lest I be reminded of the plank in my own.

Unless, of course, I'm talking about you...what are friends for?

todd said...

Huh, huh. Dew has logorrhea.