Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday whispers


  • I'm sure that a more sophisticated landscaper than I (that's just about anybody) would  probably tell you that the sweet potato¹ vine craze is declasse.  
  • Nonetheless, I'm a fan, since you can put a few cuttings in a glass of water, and they'll have inch long roots in just three or four days.  Someone had cut about a dozen or more vines at church over the weekend, which I picked up and brought home.  Tomorrow, they'll be ready for planting.
  • Over the weekend, Daughter caught about a half dozen frogs, a half dozen pollywogs, and some minnows - they're now in  the backyard 'pond' - if the perch and goldfish haven't eaten them.
  • Golden Rule/Karma update:  As noted in an earlier post, I emailed the man who backed into my car with the cost of the repairs - $73 - today I received a check from "Eddie" for $100.
  • He was thankful he didn't have to get an insurance claim, and that he didn't get skinned by the cost - I was grateful that he was honest.  As a man soweth, so shall he reapeth.
  • I took some clothes from the washer up to the laundromat to dry - I was about to load my magnetic card with some more money, when the manager came up and handed me a card that a customer had turned back, with $4 remaining on it.  Thanks, Sheri!
  • A gay student in Indianapolis sues his school district for expelling him after he fired a 'stun gun' to scare away other students who were harrassing him.
  • I found the story kind of interesting.  Being a 2nd Amendment fan, I support the right of people, gay ones included, to be able to protect themselves.  But, schools have pretty well established rules that such is strictly verboten.  Nonetheless, I was sort of sympathetic to his plight, until I read that the guy was wearing his mother's clothes and accessories to class.
  • No, I don't think that makes it okay for the kiddo to be bullied, but, c'mon buttercup, I know the hippies in the sixties marched and chanted and whatnot so that you could "do whatcha wanna do", but you really shoulda figured you'd get your butt kicked.
  • Heck, dude, I'd like to wear cowboy clothes - no, not jeans and pearl-snap shirts, but Wah-Maker duckins and suspenders and wild rags and such - to work, complete with my Cimarron Thunderer, holster, bandolero, and spurs.  But if I did that, I'd get my butt booted out the door.  (And then, nice men and women in white coats would ask me lots of questions...)
  • Hey, why are these walls padded?
  • Hate to break it to your tender little heart, but sometimes you do have to conform.  Get used to it.
  • In Get Over It, the Eagles sorta summed it up: "I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little a**."
  • Stopped by the supermarket after the laundry.  As I was looking at breakfast bars, a sort of non-descript woman in a Dez Bryant jersey walks by and starts talking to me about the granola bars, quite animatedly, and almost right in my face.
  • This is more the type thing I would initiate, rather than be the recipient of.
  • As she talked, she seemed somehow to morph from average to kinda cute.  Then her daughter, about the same age as mine, came around the corner of the aisle, and I also caught a glimpse of metal on her left hand.
  • Darn.
  • We ended up checking out at about the same time, across from one another at the self-check stands, where I looked again to make sure - couldn't totally be sure it was a wedding ring - but wasn't going to ask her in front of her daughter.
  • At least I won't be kicking myself for not checking, though.
¹ Potatoe, for Dan Quayle fans.

3 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

OK NOW, clear this up. Was the ring on the daughters hand, or the mothers? ;-))

an Donalbane said...

Uh, that would be on the mom...

RPM said...

"He was thankful he didn't have to get an insurance claim, and that he didn't get skinned by the cost - I was grateful that he was honest. As a man soweth, so shall he reapeth."

That's the rule I follow. Call it karma or whatever you want. "Do unto others" and you will live a happy life.