Saturday, November 10, 2012

Rip van Donald

I feel kinda like Jack T. Colton this morning, Michael Douglas' character in Romancing the Stone.

After finding shelter in a crashed DC-3 drug transport, Colton, who's been smuggling exotic birds for years, opens a copy of Rolling Stone and reads that the Doobie Brothers have broken up, and exclaims in surprise.  (It's a couple of scenes prior to putting some moves on the then-hawt Kathleen Turner/Joan Wilder.)

Anyway, I got an email ad from J C Penney (see, I'm not exclusive to Kohl's), featuring their IZOD collection.  I looked a couple o' things, and noticed there weren't no reptile insignia.

Now, back in the day, I went to prep school, but was not a preppie.  Just to march to a different drum, I had a sweatshirt featuring an upright alligator with an insignia of a dude.  Nonetheless, I also had one IZOD/Lacoste polo shirt, sort of the same way some guys own only one suit.

After a bit of googling, I found that IZOD and Lacoste divorced in 1993.

Just call me the fashion caveman.

No comments: