Monday, October 20, 2008

Are Your Loins Girded?

Now comes word, via a Joe Biden campaign speech, that the Delaware Senator who would be VP advises us to "gird up our loins". After first checking my daughter's whereabouts and confirming that the last Democratic President was not running amok in my community, I read further to learn that Senator Biden meant that we, the great unwashed masses should prepare ourselves for actions we don't agree with. It turns out that They Who Have All The Answers want us to understand that, in a BO administration, "...if [decisions are] popular, they're probably not sound."

I certainly understand and agree that popularity and rectitude often lack a positive correlation (how else do you explain Britney Spears?). But it doesn't logically follow that they are mutually exclusive, or that there's "probably" an inverse correlation. Moreover, though, possessing a few shards of intelligence, I resent the inference that being on the right side of an issue with a majority of people who believe as I do is an indicator that my thought process is somehow unsound.

Though there's never a perfect candidate, I'll be voting for candidates who believe that "the people" (and don't have difficulty understanding this term - can you say "Heller"?), not bureaucrats, determine our government.