Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Hope I'm Not Too Late...

My friend and fellow blogger Todd (so far, he is the real blogger, and I a poseur - I'm working hard to catch up) recently wrote of an incident in which a non-English speaking person had some car trouble, inasmuch as her battery apparently had given out. Todd is a very good writer, and makes excellent use of imagery, narrative, and dialogue: "Click-click-click", began his blog post. The entry went on to say that he attempted to help the woman from her predicament, but due to the language barrier, she understood nary a word.

Now, I often read Todd's posts, then submit as many wise-acre comments as I can muster, and occasionally offer insightful commentary, replete with not a few references to Don Henley, Shakespeare, or both. But, I digress, frequently.

Setting the tone for his piece on communication by using the nearly universally understood "click-click-click" was a stroke of brilliant writing, but not to be left unpunished. I wracked my brain to come up with some goofball cracks, with varying degrees of success.

Then it occurred to put the "click-click-click" into another context. After all, he had said that the woman was, presumably, Spanish-speaking, so I thought: "Why not use the clicks instead as the sound of castanets?" So, one Google and thirty-eight seconds later, I'm knee-deep in information about Mexican Dance, which brings me to the subject of this blog entry (did I mention I digress?).

Seems that in Mexico there is a deer dance, in which a participant wears a headdress consisting of, well, the head of a deer. From the pictures I saw, these are REAL deer heads, not made in China or Taiwan.


And so, dear reader(s), given that we are into October (archery and youth season already open), and rifle season is just around the corner, DO NOT, for any reason, agree to participate in a "deer dance" at the behest of your amigos. You could give venison a bad name (or taste).

Comprende?



Next blog: "Tragedy Ensues as VP Hopeful Sarah Palin Visits Fraternal Order of Moose Lodge"

2 comments:

todd said...

Holy guacamole! Talk about a long story!!!

an Donalbane said...

It's about the journey, grasshopper...