Saturday, October 25, 2008

Just Pass the Pepper Only, Please...

Even though gas prices have somewhat normalized in the past few weeks, due to the economy I am trying to save money by consolidating my shopping trips, like a lot of Americans whose last names are not Rockefeller, Morgan, Gates or Buffett.

So, in the same trip that took me to the Home Center, I also found myself for a time in the dollar store - you know those places that sell a bunch of crap made in China, but, since it's only a dollar, you buy it. I'm saving my rant on Chinese made stuff for another post, but will tell you that the three things I bought tonight were made in the U.S.A., which is rapidly becoming known as Los Estados Unidos.

Anyway, on the food and spice aisle, I saw boxes of salt. Iodized, non-iodized, like Morton's salt, with the metal pour spout on the top, except these are unknown brands.

One brand caught my attention: San Francisco Bay Sea Salt.

I know that sea salt is sort of a current fad. In fact, I have some in my pantry. People with more money than brains can pay several dollars for a couple of ounces of specialty sea salt, as opposed to regular salt that sells for 50 cents for nearly a couple of pounds.

San Francisco Bay Sea Salt? Well, surely that must be a Chinese company thinking it's a good marketing angle, right? Wrong! I checked the package, and it was in fact, made-in-the-USA salt from, it proudly exclaimed, San Francisco Bay seawater. Aaaargh!

I'll be putting SFB Sea Salt on my food just about the time I start drinking "Genuine Trinity River Bottled Water" with my Taco Bell combo meal...

No comments: