Saturday, October 25, 2008

D-I-Y Taken Too Far

I like doing handyman work. You know, fixing and building things with my hands. More power, Tim "The Toolman" Taylor kind of stuff. Except I actually know what I'm doing.

Just returned from the Big Orange Box That Sells Building Supplies, and I have to say, I'm shaken to my core. I've always thought it was a good thing for homeowners to get in touch with their inner Bob Vila, Norm Abram, or Dean Johnson and learn how to do some of the basic construction in their homes.

But, after tonight, I'm reconsidering.

Milwaukee makes some of the best power tools in the business. A bit pricey for me, but if I had to make my living with them, they're probably worth it. There's nothing equivalent to the feel of a 15-amp pivoting, orbital SawzAll in your hands - with the right blades, you can demo that stupid mother-in-law room addition to make way for a new media center, or fit that jerk who cut you off on the freeway into a six-quart crock pot. Really good tools.

On a display near all the Christmas specials, Milwaukee has introduced the "M-Spector", a hand-held "Digital Inspection System", the specifications of which follow:
  • Digital technology delivers superior image quality
  • Large, 2.4", high-resolution (320X240) color LCD display
  • Exclusive adjustable image zoom (2x)
  • 3 Stage LED Brightness Control w/ Digital Glare Reduction
  • Up front camera controls for true one-hand operation
  • Rugged, detachable 3' water-tight flexible shaft
  • 3' extension cables also available
  • Small camera head and shaft diameter fit into holes as small as ¾"
  • Thumb Controls for One Hand Operation
  • Model 2300-20 Includes 4 AA batteries, hard case

There's a lot of things I enjoy doing myself, but I'm not sure I even want to know what this is supposed to be used for...

2 comments:

todd said...

I think you look up chimneys with it. You know, ash holes.

an Donalbane said...

Maybe. I was certainly concerned, hoping not to see a label on the box: "Save the high cost of a proctologist - D-I-Y in the privacy of your home!"

Actually, on the working display, you can check behind a wall or something, and the images are pretty good. This would be great to find something that fell down behind the dash in your car, or behind the entertainment center, or such.