Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Donald's Old Movie Reviews

Some months ago, I noted on these same interweb pages that I was going to attempt to solidify my cinematic savoir-faire by watching some older films, and also expanding my kids' cultural literacy (borrowing that phrase from Ed Hirsch). This past weekend's crop was no Casablanca, or On the Waterfront, but it was kinda fun.

Herewith, our picks:

  • Roxanne - Steve Martin in fine form. [En voce Groucho Marx] And Darryl Hannah in finer form.


  • Smokey and the Bandit - Hey, I said it weren't no Casablanca. Classic, campy Burt Reynolds, with a reminder of all that CB-speak we knew and loved in the, gasp!, '70s. Yeah, I remember how cool I thought the telephone-shaped [RadioShack] CB was in my parents' Fleetwood. Rollin' down I-45 to the San Jacinto Inn for dinner, talking on the phone. Wow, we were livin' large back then. Sally Fields, with a very cute tush (Dewey, Todd, or Shay - provide your own Boniva quips here. I run a classy blog here with an elevated level of discourse, so I must refrain. No, really, I must.). Actually, I preferred Sally Fields in Murphy's Romance, but, unfortunately, that film probably qualifies as a chick-flick. Oh, and Jackie Gleason turned in a pretty good performance.


  • Last, but definitely not the least, Young Frankenstein - I probably hadn't seen this film since the '80s. From the film noire treatment (that's black and white to my less sophisticated readers - as though reading this blog was not sufficient ipso facto evidence of lack of sophistication - sophistry, sophomoric, yes/sophistication, ah, not so much), to the comedy genii of Wilder and Brooks. A tour de force cast performing farce at its best. I don't know how the heck you could work with Marty Feldman and keep a straight face (alas, he left us in 1982 at the too-young age of 48. Much too close to home). And Teri Grrrr. I said, Teri Grrrr - lovely. The only troubling thing is, and I keep wondering, if I go buy some Monster Energy drink, will it, um, boost my Schwanzstücker? Oh, one more. I can now correctly place all of Mrs. Terra Mako's references from the movie.
Well, this has been old movie review. By the way, the kids enjoyed all of these.

6 comments:

todd said...

What's with all the latin? I think you should speak English in your blog poste haste and coitus interruptus!

an Donalbane said...

Why of course I subscribe to the maxim: Nil illegitimi carborundum.

Anonymous said...

What knockers!!

Don Dodson said...

Film noir is more than just black and white. It's a genre which was popular mainly in the 40's and 50's which focuses on the degenerate nature of humans, usually with a fatally flawed main character whose character defects lead to his downfall. Visually it uses darkness and shadow along with unusual, steep camera angles to portend the mounting dread and suspense. For a classic example of film noir, watch "Double Indemnity", a great flick about lust, greed, deception, murder, and betrayal.

el chupacabra said...

I cannot be reminded of the CBs glory days without thinking of an older cousin.

Back in the day there was such a problem with theft of them the legislature clamped down with some pretty Draconian laws (not unlike drug laws of today).

Anyway, he got caught with 2-3 radios he had stolen, other people were implicated making it some kind of conspiracy so he did something like 4 or maybe even 6? years in the state pen system.

The murderer of a best friend did 8years in Huntsville.

Cuckoo.

an Donalbane said...

Yeah, we thought CBs were the bees' knees. In addition to the aforementioned telephone-shaped CB in the Caddy, my dad had one affixed to the front of the console of his K-5 Blazer. I think it was a Roberts 23 Channel (before they expanded the band to 40). Anyway, he'd never done anything to it, but somehow it was putting out about 3-4 times the power that it was supposed to.

If memory serves, we were able to talk from some friends' property about 5 miles NW of Barton's Chapel Rd & Hwy 4, all the way to B'port, which I'm guesstimating is about 30 miles.

Somebody (maybe your cousin?) took a liking to it [the CB] one night on our driveway (about 1976-77). The replacement, almost identical, never had the power output of the first one, though.

The funniest part of that episode was that CBs were such the rage at the time, that the crook was so intent on the radio mounted to the front of the console, that he missed the mint condition S&W Highway Patrolman in said console!