Thursday, August 6, 2009

Don's Movie Picks

I've previously established that I don't go to see first-run movies, on account of I'm too cheap poor to spend $8 a ticket for movies that, quite often, are not too good. So, this past weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to have seen two good movies at the dollar movie theatre.

The first was Eddie Murphy's Imagine That. The boys didn't really want to join us (my daughter and me) for this one, but the show they wanted to see wasn't on in a compatible time slot, so they hung with us. The synopsis is that a divorced father comes to understand the meaning of being involved in his daughter's life. Also starring Thomas Haden Church and Martin Sheen, Murphy casts off the stigma of those awful, gimmicky movies where he plays 14 roles, and gets back to straight-forward acting. Rated PG, I wasn't embarrassed for my daughter, and yet the boys, both teenagers, still enjoyed it.


The next afternoon, we sought respite from the heat and went for the latest release of Night at the Museum - The Smithsonian. I'm normally not much on CGI as I think it often gets in the way of plot, or worse, substitutes for it, but the effects in Night were great, and totally supported the story. Also very family friendly. I don't know if it's less enjoyable if one doesn't have a good grasp of history (I liked Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for the same reason), but my daughter fully enjoyed the movie. The boys chose not to join on this one, but afterward, based on their reviews of what they did see, I think they'd have liked ours better.



Tonight I was in the Dollar General and noticed they have Mountain Men on DVD, starring Charlton Heston and Brian Keith (the actor, not the blogger). How cool is that? Moses/NRA Icon and Uncle Bill/Hardcastle in the same movie. Answer: Not cool enough for me to shell out $10 for it. I checked later on Wiki, the movie was made in 1980!

No comments: