Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Another vanishing piece of my youth

  • OK, stop laughing.
  • After over 50 years, Arlington's Candlelite Inn is up for auction and may be closing.  I can remember dining there, oh, about 25 years ago.  Unlike Red Lobster or Olive Garden or any of those chain establishment, this was a genuine, home-grown restaurant.
  • It's a tough world for anyone who's not part of the homogenized, national retail establishment, our-mall-stores-in-the-Metroplex-are-the-same-as-yours-in-Provo mentality.
  • I remember when I was on the Economic Development Board, our ED Director was proud when we engaged a powerful data mining company that could help us lure national retail accounts.
  • Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I was thankful that we'd already created another zone in town that was suited to small, unique, enterprises.
  • They say the recession has ended, but I have significant firsthand knowledge that, for many, the pain hasn't, and may not for awhile.  I am seeing a lot of businesses on the brink of ruin, some founded by people who are true visionaries and innovators - it's not a pretty sight.
  • It could make a grown man cry.

  • Sorry, I couldn't find a picture of a grown man.
  • But, seriously, this is no time to be under-capitalized.  There's a lot of rough sailing out there.
  • I get some of those free slick glamour magazines about how to live the high-tone life, I guess because my town is next to a hoity-toity town.  You know, the kind with seventeen ads for cosmetic surgery and dentistry, how to create just the perfect backyard retreat, totally clutter-free garages, the best spas for you, and your twelve year old daughter.  Oh, and for your dog, too.
  • Gimme a break! (Although I could seriously use the garage organizer...)
  • And of six ads for law firms, four were for divorce lawyers.  Gee, you'd think all these folks going to the spa, fine dining and stuff would be all happy.  Maybe not.
  • Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights - low temps in the 50s.  Sienna and I slept on the deck.  That made us happy.  We moved back inside last night.
  • Went for a bike ride tonight - near the end she was, well, dogged.  Even as slow as I was pedaling, she went slower, and slipped loose from her leash/collar.
  • I'm still pleased with the results of trimming her nails/claws with the Ryobi rotary tool.
  • The pied piper blogger today re-posted a picture of our state's governor pointing a single-action revolver in the air during a speech last year.  I just hope he doesn't shoot The Invisible Swordsman...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where was that picture taken????

Dew

an Donalbane said...

Christmas Party, '07 or '08.

It just looks like you're crying - I think you and Keebler were horsing around.

todd said...

What we did to that poor horse at the Christmas party makes me cry now too.

an Donalbane said...

What were y'all doing to Freckles before I showed up with the camera?

Home on the Range said...

Tam and Bobbie and I were driving to the Mongolian Barbecue place and saw a Dermatologist for Dogs. I was tempted just to go out and find a Sharpai and show up and say "he needs botox". But I'm still in trouble for when I called the Doggie Tattoo place (where they do the identification Tat's) and told them Barkley wanted a tattoo of Cher on his ass.

No sense of humor.