Sunday, May 29, 2011

Eating healthy

As Sienna and I get older, it's more important than ever to watch what we eat, and make good diet decisions.

After about a month binge on Kroger wavy potato chips - I cut them out, cold turkey, about three weeks ago.  Along with some other changes, I've seen a drop in my BP.

Most of my cooking is tinkering.  I'll start with a basic recipe and improvise, or use some sort of starter, then add my own flourishes.  For example, the ALDI sells a two pound bag of stir-fry veggies with noodles.

So, what do I do?

I use a couple of cups of the pre-made stuff, then add my own linguini noodles, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and 'shrooms, plus beef strips.  Of the finished meal, only about 25% was from the original 'packaged' stuff.

But, I can't say that Sienna has taken the same interest in reading labels as I have.

"Daddy, I iz dog.  I haz not got to look at that silly can.  Just open it and feed me already!"

BTW, a follow-up on a recent post when I said I'd report my impression of the Winking Owl Shiraz from ALDI.  Upon close inspection, the label showed a 'born on' date of 32 A.D.   I think it may have been leftover from the vinegar offered Jesus by the Roman soldiers who mocked him as he was dying on the cross. (Luke 23:36)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The greatest dogs that ever lived were fed cheeseburgers,hot dogs, carne guisada tacos with cheese, Mac and cheese, and sides of dog food -- one died at 18 years of age and the other was @least 15.. They were big dogs. But we walked twice a day- rain, snow, ice or heat. Miss them terribly! They never had a weight problem and were the best natured dogs ever.