Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fast Car

The prior post reminded me of the lead-off song on Ms. Chapman's eponymous 1988 album, which also featured this song.



I remember when I bought this CD (at Musicland), one of the early ones to feature full digital production.  The liner notes don't indicate if the Aphex Aural Exciter technology was utilized, but in any event, the music on the disc virtually leaps out of the speakers.

Though I may not be on the same page as Ms. Chapman politically, this remains one of my favorite pieces of recorded music.

6 comments:

el chupacabra said...

Remember Sound Wharehouse in Denton, KZEW- The ZOO and Q102 Texas Best ROCK?

el chupacabra said...

Redbeard et al- what were some of the other DJs names?

an Donalbane said...

Don't remember the Denton store, but the Dallas one was a carry-over, I believe, from Peaches Records and Tapes, at Cole & Fitzhugh.

My junior-senior high school years, I had a part time job after-school job in the Regal Row warehouse district, packing and shipping music media (LPs, 8-tracks, cassettes) to mom & pop music shops in the four state area, and also delivering to our own Sound Town stores (Valley View, Red Bird, Town East, Ridgmar). That may account for some of my trivial music knowledge.

Rody & LaBella (the latter died in a gruesome car accident on I-30 in '02), Mike Rhyner, Jon Dillon (still on KZPS, I think), [Brother]Jon Rivers (who later produced syndicated Christian music programming from his home studio in Forestburg), Mitch Carr was part of the Q-102 team, now does news on KRLD. I think Redbeard still does the syndicated In the Studio series.

Back in those days I also listened to quite a bit of KFJZ/Z-97 and KNUS-99 (McClendon), which I believe was the FM counterpart to KLIF. Yeah, and even Ralph "Ron" Chapman sometimes.

I think I have some never used Q-102 and KZEW (Rot your Brain) window stickers in the pages of an old yearbook somewhere...

Anonymous said...

Did we ever decide if Tracy Chapman was a buck or a doe?

an Donalbane said...

Ha!

Kathleen... said...

lol, Anon! That's a perennially great song.