Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Kit and Caboodle

  • So now it comes to light that the Governator of Cal-i-for-nia has been engaged in extracurricular activities.  Tsk, tsk.
  • Is there any such thing as fidelity anymore?

  • The video was probably more poignant before the revelation of Arnold's dalliances.
  • Another teacher scandal.  So it's not just celebrities.
  • I don't know that I consider the students so much as victims, but certainly the children are, and the husband.
  • Took my shirts to a dry cleaner I haven't used in years.  When I gave them my [old - land line] phone number, they asked "Ron?".
  • "No, it's Don."  After a couple of back-and-forths, I conceded that "Ron" would work just fine in the context of the situation.
  • The counter girl working there was possibly not born in this country, and was very nice.
  • I was reminded of an old grade school friend who I visited with recently.  Never married, he's pursued advanced degrees (Thunderbird - the management school, not the cheap hootch), lived and worked abroad.  He was spending some time helping his dad's business when we visited.  He told me I should take a trip to Costa Rica or to China (where he was headed in a few days), and that he could introduce me to women "who know how to treat a man".
  • Ahem.
  • Now, my friend wasn't going pimp on me and wasn't trying to set me up with a dangerous liaison.  But he definitely was suggesting that foreign-born women are more deferential to men, and "know their place".
  • I, uh, thanked him, but, that's not really what I have in mind.
  • There was a Christian group years ago, maybe still around, called 'Equally Yoked' - I think that's more my style.  I intend to remain the man of the house, and am sure not looking for a dominatrix (I don't know what that's all about), but not looking to be Lord of the Manor, either.
  • A sermon awhile back spoke of how spouses tend to objectify one another: Husbands view wives as sex providers, wives view husbands as income providers.  I believe that can happen.

  • I think in this context, Ms. Slick would be equating "love" with "boink".  Apparently lonely Marty Balin was the only band member she didn't love.
  • She had an awesome voice, and clearly paved the way for the women of rock who followed: Joplin, Ronstadt, Nicks, etc.  But an awful personality. 
  • Anyway, my idea of  'someone to love' is to put gas in her car, edge the sidewalk, bathe the dog, fix an appliance, go to Jazz on the Boulevard, cook a meal sometimes, load or unload the dishwasher, occasionally run the vacuum, keep the bears and wolves at bay,and give her a back rub (OK, this last may not be altogether altruistic - I'm a man, we're wired that way).
  • At the moment, I don't have high hopes of finding such a partner in crime.
  • I reduced more of my downed tree with the chipper this evening.  And found a dead opossum in the front yard.  Nasty, it was way too late for Opossum Helper.
  • SecTreas Timmy Geithner is announcing that the Federal Government will borrow from federal workers' retirement funds to keep the government running.  Borrow?
  • And pay it back with what?
  • I don't work for the Feds, but anyone who believes that's a good idea probably also believes there's a big locked box where they keep all the Social Security Trust Fund safe.  Uh-huh.
  • The U.S. made a big mistake going off the gold standard.  Buy wheelbarrows, you're gonna need them.
  • Trimming Sienna's nails is a constant pain.  She doesn't run enough on the pavement to wear them down, and squirms too much when I try to clip them. 
  • I saw one of those devices from Bed, Bath and Body Works in the Beyond, or whatever, As Seen on TV, that uses batteries and files them instead of cutting them.
  • The Google said it sucked.
  • So I hauled out the Dremel tool (actually, I used the Ryobi, because it's variable speed, but I have a Dremel also) with a coarse sanding drum, and, on low speed, she actually let me do all four paws without going N-V-T-S, nuts.  With the clippers, the best I can hope for is to do one or two paws at a time.
  • I found last year that I didn't care for the BP meds my doc prescribed.  So, I'm kinda going the diet & exercise, oatmeal, dark chocolate and red wine route.  I've been buying the 'two buck chuck' kinda stuff to drink a wee dram before bedtime. 
  • My reviews?  Wal-Mart's Oak Leaf Merlot - not so good, though in the past I've found the Cabernet acceptable.  In a day or two I'll have a review of Winking Owl's Shiraz from Aldi.

No comments: