Monday, May 2, 2011

Nice way to start the week...

I was going to go to bed early last night, when the news of OBL's demise broke.
  • Definitely good news, but like several others I've read, my reaction was tempered by the notion that, although he's been brought to justice, the Al-Qaeda still exists, and so we must maintain our vigilance.
  • After the initial euphoria, is there the beginning of finger pointing and nit-picking?  As in liberals vs. conservatives?
  • I read elsewhere that it's too bad, under the circumstances, that we didn't put OBL's head on pike and parade it around for effect.  I've read Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun (yes, it's a real book, ISBN 0-446-51516-7, Wess Roberts, Ph.D.), and I can understand the psych value for a victorious nation, as well as against the vanquished. 
  • But, it's not the 12th century.
  • And I also know there's a numbers game here, as well.  There's probably a lot more Muslims worldwide (whether all extremist, I don't know) and about 300 million Americans.
  • I'm content for now to believe that the handling of this was vetted long in advance by people well-schooled in statecraft as well as warcraft.
  • Now for some lighter fare.
  • After about three weeks or a month indoors, I slept outdoors a couple of days last week, when the temperatures dropped.
  • Over the weekend, daughter convinced me that we should sleep out on the deck, Friday and Saturday.  The latter was going swimmingly, until about 3:30 in the morning, when it started sprinkling.
  • I'm kind of a bear to wake up, so I wasn't keen on hauling our whole sleeping bags & comforter setup indoors.  And, it was only sprinkling.  So, I located a tarp on the porch, just a few feet away, and used it as a makeshift rain fly.  For the next three hours or so, I'd fold it back when it wasn't raining, and cover up when it did.
  • Around daybreak, the wind kicked up and the rain fell in earnest.  (KnowhutImean about the Importance of Being Earnest, Vern?)   At that point, I picked my daughter up - still in her sleeping bag - and carried her indoors, while I brought the remaining sleepgear in out of the weather.
  • We try to live adventurously, even at home.
  • I've said before, I'm the world's worst housekeeper, though I'm trying to reform. 
  • I got an ad from one of those home places, featuring the Roomba - the little robot vacuum that works while you're away, and another device that does hard floors.
  • I need those.

  • Daughter and I took the dog to a Mutt Strut contest over the weekend.  Sienna decided it would be fun to wade into the duck pond.  Four.  Times.
  • Dumb dog. 
  • She also hopped into a couple of the troughs for watering the contestant dogs, even though (or perhaps because) they were filled with ice water.
  • We returned to the carnival in the evening, sans canine, and at Daughter's request rode the Kamikaze.  I thought it was kinda fun, but she kept her eyes closed the whole time.
  • A lady walked into our office this morning, talking about all the rain.  Picking up the gauntlet, I deadpanned that the local Home Depot had begun selling measuring tapes graduated in cubits.
  • She just looked at me.

  • Subtle humor isn't for everyone.

3 comments:

el chupacabra said...

Man, the memories you are making with that girl! Never turn down her requests to sleep outside and make those times a 'no fault zone' so she'll have those as good memories no matter what.

an Donalbane said...

She is awesome.

Answers? I don't know the questions. said...

I thought I was the only one that got blank stares.