Thursday, May 17, 2012

Almost to the weekend

  • More retail observations: After my class last night, I went to the big orange box to check out some things.  In my book, they've never been known for being super customer friendly - not hostile, but generally not around when you need them.  Last night, no fewer than 8 associates spoke to me and asked if they could help me find anything.
  • Change in training/tactics?
  • I was still dressed in shirt/tie from my workday - wonder if that had an influence?
  • Also stopped at Kohl's.  Just a few steps inside, the store, or at least floor, manager greets me "Hello Don, can we help you find anything?"
  • Yeah, I'd left my nametag from class on.  About ten minutes later, he spots me again, "Still finding everything OK, Don?".
  • Alright, I'm a big fan of Dale Carnegie, too - let's not overdo it, dude.
  • Do you suppose the 4077's medevac drivers trained at Wolters?
  • The answer, unfortunately, is no.  It didn't become a helo training facility until 1956.
  • Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!:
  • And rounding out our rotorcraft troika, word reaches our S116's newsdesk that Angelina  has gifted Brad with a helicopter, make unknown, for their place in the south of France.  Maybe she's not so useless as I had thought.
  • Wonder if she can make a sammich, though...
  • Spotted a campaign sign for former NBC5 reporter Grant Stinchfield on the way to work this morning, which is kinda odd, since my office is not really near the 24th Texas District.
  • How in the world do you get name recognition when your name is ... Grant Stinchfield?
  • Not for sure, but I think he went to the same school as I did. 
  • If I'd had the money, or could have made a reasonable living from it, I would have bought this hardware store and its inventory years ago:

  • That place was like a time capsule.  I'll bet that when they auctioned the inventory, there was hardware that'd been in there nearly a hundred years: wagon parts, water pump handles, butter churns.
  • Oh, I missed the most important reason I'd like to get an Android Tablet device: So that I can mo-bile blog - like Roger Daltrey Pete Townsend or Walker Railey.
  • Well, maybe not Walker Railey.
  • Hay now!  I thought hauling hay was backbreaking work when I was a kid - but these bales?  It'd take Paul Bunyans to load it up on a flatbed:

  • The cuttings I've been seeing have looked pretty good.  Of course, it's not summer yet.
  • I'm not happy with Ranjit and Chad again.  I paid my phone bill again, on time, and got a confirmation email and text, thanking me for my payment. 
  • Today I got a text reminding me to pay my bill by yesterday.  Idjits!
  • I understand large scale remittance processing systems - but this is ridiculous.
  • Here's a nice picture of the TMS Condo Clubhouse pool:


5 comments:

el chupacabra said...

One of my very good friends was a helicopter pilot in the South (the good one) Vietnamese Air Force. He did his primary school there. Interestingly, my church adopted him for weekends and holidays during his stay there 30 years prior.
I really hope the museum becomes a reality.

todd said...

Even though it pains me, I have to say this was a good post. We agree on almost everything. Nothing was said about the Eagles or any other dead rockers. And Carter Ivy Hardware was a way cool place. Way to go.

Anonymous said...

UMMM Todd....


He shopped at Kohls!

Enough said!!!


Dew

an Donalbane said...

Ummm, Dew, did you go to Jared?

an Donalbane said...

ComKev - While checking the dates on the base history, I saw that it was AAF before becoming a helo school - wonder what equipment/training they did prior? Also, what's the airfield just east of the town of Palo Pinto - was it once a training facility? EDIT - Research team found the answer.

Toddster - I'll try to get back to my normal dreck in the near future - shouldn't be too difficult.

Doof - Have you ever consulted a writing stylebook with regard to [over]use of punctuation? Just sayin'.