Saturday, May 12, 2012

Wet weekend wisdom

  • It was nice to get a break from the run-up to summer temperatures.
  • I'm still sore from a bike riding mishap last Saturday - rode through the post office drop off lane, and casually dropped a letter in the box with my right hand.  As it teetered in the opening, I turned to see if it would drop in or out.
  • At the same time the handlebars got crooked, and I reflexively gripped with my left hand - the front brake.
  • I started to go over the handlebars, but ended up somehow in a crumpled heap after hitting my chest on the end of the handlebar, and scraping my knee on the pavement (at the time I thought I might have shattered it). The chest part's (about 2" in from my armpit) still a bit tender, as well as my upper left femur.  I think it'd been decades since my last bike wreck.
  • No bruises, though.  Have never easily bruised.
  • And the letter, in case you wondered?  After asking if I was OK, Daughter put it in the box.
  • It was a premium payment authorization for life insurance.
  • Consumer Corner - This week's recommendations:  Lysol Max Coverage Toilet Bowl cleaner (gets up under the rim).  Power House Ultra Oxygen Bathroom Cleaner (blue foam spray turns white after it's clean).  Both available at Dollar Tree. 
  • You're welcome.
  • Good thing the Decatur lawyer doesn't have an "i" in his name:
  • I wish I'd gone to Wal-Mart or Target about six weeks ago for a large trash bin, cut a slot in the top, labeled it "USPS - Unsolicited Political Mailers", and parked it next to my regular mailbox.
  • Heck, if the tsar of czars gets re-elected in November, it won't matter who got voted for in May.
  • Consumer Pan - Casa Rica Tortillas from Wal-Mart.  Flour tortillas that are all stuck together don't work well for burritos and quesadillas.  I tried nuking them to get them unstuck, with generally poor results.
  • Would you buy a used car from someone named Don?
  • May, or may not, be actual owner:

  • Hey, it was a natural for a Henley reference.
  • If you are a single man, and work with women, do not discuss women with them.  After describing my church's Cinco de Mayo themed service to a couple of such, the following conversation ensued:
  • W1: "Are there any single women at your church?"  Me:"Well, there was an attractive gal seated next to me."  W2: "Did you get her phone number?"  Me: "Uh, no, it was church - I got her first name when we did introductions, but I couldn't read her last name when she filled out the attendance card."  W1: "You could call the church office and ask them."  Me: "I think that might be considered 'stalking'."  W2 (who's always scolding me for ogling younger women, even if I'm not really ogling them):  "Was she age appropriate?"  Me:"Yeah, roundabouts, maybe 42-48; she had on a label that indicated she had a child in one of the kids' programs."  W2: "See, what you do is go up to her and say "I see we both have children in the ____ program - would you like to go have coffee after church"?"
  • Good grief!
  • Though I do hope to see the same woman at this weekend's service.
  • I drove with the radio/CD player off for most of my out-of-office work this week, hoping God might use the quiet time to drop some nuggets o' wisdom on me.
  • If I ever get married again, will spend more quiet time listening to God (will do that anyway), and will also listen to my wife more.
  • An excerpt from My Thanksgiving:
And I don't mind saying that I still love it all
I wallowed in the springtime
Now I'm welcoming the fall
For every moment of joy
Every hour of fear
For every winding road that brought me here
For every breath, for every day of living
This is my Thanksgiving

For everyone who helped me start
And for everything that broke my heart
For every breath, for every day of living
This is my Thanksgiving
  •  I finally visited Wizard Wells this week - I can die happy:

4 comments:

el chupacabra said...

Brother: go for the kill every chance you get. It may be the ONLY chance you get. Women can say what they want, but they dig aggressive, forward men who know what they want. After that- everything takes care of itself (or so I've heard).

todd said...

I'm sure Chup is right IF that's what you want, and that is a big IF. Just remember the bathroom stall adage: No matter how good-looking she is, somebody somewhere is sick of her.

YM said...

Agressive, no, assertive, yeah. But what do I know, someone somewhere got sick of me. hahah

an Donalbane said...

No matter how good-looking she is, somebody somewhere is sick of her.

Toddley - True that, and the next guy figures it out just a little too late. Heh-heh...