Monday, June 11, 2012

Déjà Vu...yet again

OK, this is getting weird.   A couple of weeks ago, I started listening to the CD changer in the car (yeah, I don't have a 6 terabyte flash drive jukebox - yet).

One aftertoon, as I walked from my office building across the parking lot, I found myself humming: "La la la la la la la la / la la la la la la la".  I clicked the door unlock, got in the car, and turned the key.

The engine started, the stereo cranked up: "Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming / we're finally on our own...", perfectly synchro-meshed with the soundtrack that'd been running in my head just moments earlier.

"Man, that's weird!", I thought¹, before reasoning that my subconscious (which is way smarter than me, by the way, and better looking) self had simply picked up the mental soundtrack where it'd left off when I parked that morning.

Fair enough.

I'd been searching for a scope base for a poodle-shooter I'm upgrading, so I drove to the Hallowed Place - Cabela's - to see if they had the model I sought.  Two or three more songs had played from the CD since I'd left the office.   I found a space and parked the car.

Looking to the right, this is what I saw:


Touché.  By now, I'm thinking "There's some really cool karma going on here."  And I began to plan how to journalize this on my blog, if for no other reason than to one-up my friend Todd the Blogger by spinning a thin premise into a long tale.

But the truck graphic also made me ponder "Maybe Combat Kevin or Her Majesty actually know the folks out at Crazy Horse Ranch, and maybe there's fewer degrees of Kevin Bacon than previously theorized."  I snapped the picture with my phone camera and commenced shopping.  And after not finding what I was looking for in Valhalla (later special-ordered from CheaperThanDirt), I pretty much forgot the episode, figuratively gathering dust behind some LP records and open reel [Maxell] tapes in the cobwebs of my mind.

Until today.

Firing up the Commodore 64 after work, I adjusted the cat's whisker to tune into the Blogadelphia frequency and today's post.   Then I clicked on the link on the last line.

Doo-doo, doo-doo / doo-doo, doo-doo.

I bet any minute Allen Funt is gonna walk up to me...and rip off his [latex] face...to reveal Rod Serling!

¹ Yes, I often think in italics.  It helps clear the mind.


No comments: