And, it's not my mantra.
However, it is the subject of an article in today's Startle-gram - actually, a fairly objective article, instead of the typical ridicule 'hit' pieces on the subject.
Nonetheless, I think it misses a much larger point. In looking only at the scope of Texas secession, which I don't find likely - it fails to address a somewhat more realistic possibility: It wouldn't just be about Texas.
Take a look at the map below:
Now, am I suggesting that all, or any of, the red states should or would remove themselves from the Union because of a lost election? The answer is a resounding NO. In my lifetime, I've voted for the winning Presidential candidate five times, and I've lost four times without the world ending. It's not about the party residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
However, there does not seem to be any abatement of the situation of productive America (loosely represented in red) carrying an increasing burden of parasitic America, which I believe is propelling us toward a rather dicey showdown.
Texas economy may well rank 14th on a global scale, according to the article, but it would still pale beside the remaining United States. But what if - IF - not just Texas, but say, several Gulf Coast states, and a swath of breadbasket states, some of which are also energy states, a couple of timber states, up to the Canadian border, and then some rogue Western Provinces, similarly disenfranchised with Ottawa, plus Alaska - decided to join forces based on the precepts of the original U. S. Constitution? That would be a radically different game.
Interestingly, apparently some blue state nit-wit actually thinks this would benefit what he calls The Enlightened States of America:
Dear Red States:
- We’re ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we’ve decided we’re leaving.
- We in California intend to form our own country and we’re taking the other Blue States with us.
- In case you aren’t aware that includes New York, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and the rest of the Northeast.
- We believe the split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America (E.S.A).
- You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.
- We get stem cell research and the best beaches.
- We get Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren. You get Bobby Jindal and Todd Akin.
- We get the Statue of Liberty. You get Opryland.
- We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.
- We get Harvard. You get Ole’ Miss.
- We get 85 percent of America’s venture capital and entrepreneurs.
- You get Alabama.
That the author thinks California is the basis, example, for a successful nation, and that Andrew Cuomo, and Harvard are prizes might tell you something.
While all of this discussion is so much silliness, it would lower the cost of vacationing on Puget Sound, Napa Valley, Disney World, or Nantucket, as the Central States' dollar would undoubtedly be quite strong against the ESA currency.