Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Washout Wednesday


  • So this morning I'm commenting to a colleague that I've enjoyed the DST, and I'm actually getting to work earlier.
  • "Don, it's Spring Break week."
  • D'oh!  Uh, yeah, sure, I knew that.
  • I had it in my head today that I was going to eat fried chicken for lunch.
  • As luck would have it, I was in the SE FTW area, so I thought I'd look for a Williams Chicken place - a guy I used to work with raved about their chicken.
  • Found one on E. Berry Street, a couple of blocks from Miller.  The place was neat as a pin, with stainless steel covering on the front counter.  And except for the counter-to-ceiling 5/8" thick security plexiglas completely isolating the employees from the customers, you wouldn't have known it was on E. Berry Street.
  • The chicken itself was crispy but tender - I think it coulda used the Colonel's spices, though.
  • The employees were as friendly as could be.
  • This month's PopSci, page 76, asks the question: "Do Lobotomies Work?"
  • And supplies the short answer: "Surprisingly, yes." As well as a five-paragraph explanation.
  • But I still don't want one.
  • Mark Kelly - Rocket Scientist?
  • I've always respected astronauts, because you don't get to be in that elite corps without lots of intelligence and dedication.  But I'm at a loss to understand the recent events surrounding former spaceman Mark Kelly.
  • As I understand the timeline, he was in an Arizona gun store to purchase a .45 caliber handgun.  I'm all for that.
  • While there, he saw a pre-owned AR-15 or variant, and purchased it as well, but delivery was postponed so that the shop could check the provenance of the firearm.  Again, all pretty standard stuff.
  • At some point - and this seems to be where it gets muddy - it becomes known that Mr. Kelly has or is purchasing a so-called "assault weapon".  He then publicly says it was to illustrate how easy it is to get such firearms,and that he's going to turn it over to the authorities when he takes delivery.
  • So, here we have a man who has rigorous training in logical thought, suggesting that a gun store selling him (well known astronaut) a gun, without immediate delivery, is somehow emblematic of the ease with which creeps, miscreants, and dope fiends can get firearms?
  • How does that make sense?
  • A couple of mobile homes being moved had the east loop, already reduced by construction to one lane southbound, near a standstill this morning.  I was behind the chase car, watching as the 'wide load' bumped a half-dozen or so traffic barrels aside - at least until FWPD & TXDoT workers radio'd ahead to have them moved a bit until the caravan passed.
  • I'm thinking about moonlighting as one of those tax-preparation Statue of Liberty people.
  • Seen in the Stockyards today:

  • The mind reels with other rhyming possibilities...

6 comments:

RPM said...

I'm a Democrat and I own plenty of weapons. Liberal with a Gun, title of the new horror film at the GOP film festival. But none of my weapons include an AR or AK. I don't see a Zombie Apocalypse or Red Dawn happening in my lifetime. If it does I have faith in the military with weapons that can kill BVR to defend me. If it does come down to that I'll be sniping like Pvt Daniel Jackson with my .300 Win Mag and Mod 98 Mauser.

an Donalbane said...

Liberal with a Gun, title of the new horror film at the GOP film festival.

Naw, ain't no thang. Actually, I see the 2A supporters as being the true civil libertarians. I agree it's not ZA or RD posing a clear and present danger to the republic, but I am increasingly concerned of CW2 when the burgeoning entitlement class finds out the teat has or is about to run dry. At that point, the gov't, in a vain attempt to keep the ship afloat, imposes Draconian confiscatory tax rates on producers to appease the takers. The canaries in the mine who've been warning of tyranny will look pretty prescient then.

...I have faith in the military with weapons that can kill BVR... - You know, the patron saint of folks like myself, RWR, said "Trust, but verify." I want to trust, but have a little sumthin' sumthin' in reserve - just in case. Heck, even the gamblers had their derringers...

Also agree with the WhiteFeather approach, even though I'm supportive of responsible AR & AK owners (though I'm not one of them).

el chupacabra said...

Hey Don. 10 rounds at a time?! How odd.

You should check our Texas Style Chicken on Rosedale- cheap and good.

The intergalactic cowboy Mark Kelly? People really hate being busted for a hypocrite- and they should.

an Donalbane said...

CK - The 10 round limit I think serves a couple of purposes. One, not showering the shooter to the right with too much brass, and two, I think there've been attempts to get stock media footage at a "nearby" range (it's @ Minnis & 121), so they didn't want to give antis ammunition, so to speak. They also don't allow human silhouette (except for CHL qual) or picture targets (Osama, Saddam, Feinstein), for similar reasons. There are a lot of vintage military guys who shoot '03, 1917, SMLE, M1, etc - as well as younger guys with slicked up ARs.

I'll have to check out TSC next time I'm around there.

RPM said...

I am increasingly concerned of CW2 when the burgeoning entitlement class finds out the teat has or is about to run dry. At that point, the gov't, in a vain attempt to keep the ship afloat, imposes Draconian confiscatory tax rates on producers to appease the takers. The canaries in the mine who've been warning of tyranny will look pretty prescient then.

Don, I don't think it will ever progress to a CW2. At least I hope it never does. I think we were much closer to it in the 60's and we made it thru that. There are some restless natives out there, but I think the vast majority of Americans are not nor ever will be in favor of it. Again, hoping...

I've got faith in our ability to pull the car out of the ditch before we completely crash, but the politicians are at the wheel so no guarantees.

an Donalbane said...

I've given thought to the '60s comparison also, but reached the opinion that we're in a more precarious position today, due to economic realities. The 60's war protesters were mostly privileged youth who, after tuning in and dropping out, ultimately assimilated into society, formed rock-n-roll bands, or became congresscritters. The civil rights protesters, once hard working people looking for a fair shake, initially made gains, but in the long view, IMO, through LBJ's Great Society and its descendents, traded dignity for dependency.

In the '60s, the rising economic tide resulting from conversion of wartime production to consumer goods, nearly two decades of relative peace, and the baby boom optimism smoothed over a lot of sins.

We lack those luxuries today.

Largely a victim of our own success, we built other countries' infrastructures and educated their engineers - those countries' workers now manufacture the products we buy, creating trade imbalances. The original thinking was that by elevating 3WCs to middle class status, we would create markets for American goods. Now, the question is: What's an American good?

I talk to a lot of small business owners - a strong majority are seriously concerned about keeping their doors open - many are desperate. I'm not hoping for the CW2 either, but the economic climate has got to return to being amenable to rewarding those risking capital and their efforts.

Having spent most of my working life in community banking, the bailouts of the money center banks and brokerage houses were abominations. I'm as opposed to corporate welfare as I am to welfare queens.

I've got two sons out of high school - one's at a local college, the other at the one with the maroon letters. I'd like to think there will be decent career paths for them in a few years, but I believe it's a lot cloudier picture than when I graduated.

It's not wrong to blame the politicians, but ultimately, we're the ones who elected them, so - with Jesus' help - we might just have to take the wheel.

(I think this latest comment may have exceeded my original post...)