Monday, September 26, 2016

On the cusp of Tuesday

  • Although I've never met him, that guy in an internet services commercial (where the family's internet is out) reminds me of an area blogger, particularly when his wife asks him if the internet's back on.
  • Here's why you should park facing the interior of a parking tower.
  • Open carry has not been so pervasive as its detractors - or even supporters - might have imagined.  I have probably seen maybe 10 people carrying openly since the first of the year.  The other day, however, I saw two within just minutes.  The first was carrying a Glock 17, and the other appeared to have a nickel-plated 1911 (yuck, to the nickel plate, not the 1911).  I had the opportunity to talk with the first one, who said he carried openly because reaching for a concealed handgun was too cumbersome and time-consuming.
  • I wouldn't swear off the possibility of ever carrying openly, but if I were carrying, I'd be more likely to do so with a concealment vest, or IWB rig.  And although I'm quite fond of .45 ACP, I can better conceal a compact 9mm on my 6'1", 176 # frame.
  • In the time that Carson re-runs have been airing, I've seen probably a half-dozen Carnac the Magnificent sketches, but only one Floyd R. Turbo.  American.
  • Silence please.  
  • "T. S. Eliot."
  • "What did Eliot Janeway's bank tell him when he complained about his account being overdrawn?"
  • The preceding was from February 20, 1975.
  • There have been more  Carl Reiner, and fewer Rickles and Newhart appearances, than I would have imagined.
  • While researching some contact info in my old phone, I ran across a text that reminded me of the mendacity of the female persuasion.  After I had asked one such a rather straightforward question, I almost immediately received the following, almost frantic sounding, mis-forwarded response, "Don sent me that previous text.  WTH do I tell him????"  It seemed out of character for her to have to ask someone else what lie to tell, as I knew her to be a shameless prevaricator.  About six minutes later, she and the unidentified other party had apparently concocted a cover story, and I received a vetted response text.
  • I presently have three opened containers of salsa in my fridge: Some chunky Sabra medium salsa, some restaurant style (kinda like Mexican Inn's), and some peach mango.  When they're both half-full, I'll consolidate the first and last tubs.
  • Overheard at work today - a couple of co-workers conversing: "Does your wife's shop do watercolor tats?"  The one asking was a woman, who did not have any visible tattoos, but seemed quite interested in getting some.
  • I did not watch the debates tonight.

1 comment:

Jeffrey said...


“This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.”
― T.S. Eliot