Friday, January 30, 2009

Driving Dangers II...

In my last post, I alluded to a bill, currently before the Texas Legislature, that would outlaw faxing while driving. The bill's author, State Rep. "Chente" Quintanilla of El Paso seeks to stiffen penalties for eating, drinking, interacting with a pet (sorry, Paris Hilton) or passenger (that would've stunted my dating years), grooming, reading or writing while operating a motor vehicle.

Now, the bill isn't quite as silly as it has been portrayed. Obviously it is aimed at curbing the proliferation of distractions and possibly re-educate drivers that their focus should be on the road and not on their Blackberry, i-Pod, DVD player, Norelco shaver, GPS, Big Gulp, or Double Cheese Bacon Explosion. Not too outrageous a concept, really. And, though this is clearly a trial balloon legislation, I actually like the approach, inasmuch as it isn't outlawing the activities, only increasing penalties for other infractions if you do these also.

In my [small 'l'] libertarian thoughts, I can envision all of these, even DWD, as not being unlawful [pregnant pause] until you have an accident (of any kind), at which time you go to jail, no excuses (DWD), or pay a stiff fine (most of the others). It would bring accountability back to the driver to take responsibility for safe vehicle operation, much like a pilot.

Interestingly, there is no provision for smoking while driving. I'd have to imagine that more than a couple of accidents have resulted from someone dropping hot ashes down his/her torso or on other body parts, not to mention a few prairie grass fires from discarded butts. Maybe it just didn't come up in discussion?

While the derision is aimed at the faxing provision, it is simply one line of fourteen, defining (as bureaucrats are wont to do) personal communications devices.

If you need to reach me while I'm in my car, don't call me - I'm concentrating on driving. But, if it's urgent, send me a telegram (they're not listed in the bill).




And if I'm in an accident, I won't dial 9-1-1, I'll send out an S-O-S!

3 comments:

David H said...

Lexus and others are also designing cars that park themselves... my fear (as an auto enthusiast) is that eventually- as in the movie I, Robot, the cars will drive themselves, nothing will be allowed, and we will all become drones in a simulated utopia...

an Donalbane said...

Yep, HAL will control everything!

an Donalbane said...

I guess I could also put a message in a bottle to send out an S-O-S. That would get The Police there, I suppose.

My luck, though - it would be a Sting operation, and they'd send ABBA instead of an investigator.