Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Morning or Mourning in America?

Like tens or dozens of millions of people in this country, I tuned in for the 'historic' inauguration of President Barack H. Obama. Didn't watch the whole thing, just the swearing in of the Vice-President and the President, and through the lift off of the Marine helo with George W. Bush.
I saw giddy folks in different locations around the country celebrating the event with glee, and I'm happy for them. But suffice to say, my reaction to the whole affair was pretty somber.

An old anecdote, probably true in some cases, but more likely apocryphal as details get changed with each retelling, relates a small [Main Street, not Wall Street] business owner who displays a framed Presidential portrait in his place of business. An acquaintance sees it, and says: "I thought you hated 'so-and-so'". The rejoinder and moral of the story, of course, is that the business owner acknowledges the statement, but adds; "I am an American, and he is my President".

During the 1990s, I remember distinctly saying of WJC: "He's not MY President". Now older and hopefully, wiser, and despite not having voted for BHO, I feel like the shopkeeper. Like it or not, President Obama is the new occupant of the Oval Office. You won't see me displaying his portait, but I am an American. But I hasten to add that denial, abridgement, or usurpation of the rights of sovereign citizens changes the whole paradigm.

Well, enough blogging for now, as a [nearing] middle age white guy, I've gotta go "embrace what's right".

2 comments:

todd said...

Embrace what's right? Is that a euphemism for something dirty? My thought is about Obama that, yes, he is now the President and, whether we voted for him or not, is entitled to the respect that comes with the office. I expect the same from him in return: respect for me and what is right and best for me as a citizen. That does not mean a bailout if I make bad decisions.

an Donalbane said...

I'm not aware of any euphemistic usage there.

I agree about the respect for the POTUS. Legitimately elected by misguided souls, he is the President. I don't anticipate agreeing with many of his policies, but that's why we have elections. If he starts abridging and denying basic rights guaranteed under the BOR, well, I suppose I'll feel a lot less charitable