Thursday, January 8, 2009

There's Good and Bad Every Day

As a self-admitted curmudgeon, I've been wanting to write an uplifting post, so as not to get trapped in a naysaying rut. So, as I was leaving my local Wal-Mart (Walmarts for my Lake Worth reader[s]) Neighborhood Grocery, a couple of examples materialized.


The first that brought a smile to my face was an elderly couple crossing the parking lot to enter the store. Now, when I say elderly, I don't mean 'just got their AARP cards in the mail' elderly. This husband and wife had to have been every bit of mid-80s plus. Their bodies were both stooped over with the ravages of time, and individually, you would think of either one as frail. But together, they crossed the parking lot, arm in arm, each a strength to the other. Although there were cars behind me, possibly with impatient drivers, it was no inconvenience to me at all to wait as they passed by. In fact, I considered it a blessing.


About the same time, another not-quite-so-elderly woman, probably in her 70s - a bluehair, you might say - was leaving the store. As a Wal-Mart, carrying your groceries to your car is usually self-service. But there was the store manager, pushing the lady's cart out to her car. Another uplifting moment.

I'm nowhere near 80, and can presently cross parking lots pretty well, but I have to do it alone. Maybe sometime before I go to the nursing home, I'll find a sweet young thing in her 70s to walk with me arm in arm at the Wal-Mart (or whatever discount stores exist then - perhaps Gibson's will come back in vogue).

And the bad? Nah, I feel better now. I'll save my rants for later...

3 comments:

todd said...

I was in the Walmarts the other day and my cashier was a bluehair. You probably would like her. I doubt she would set your penis on fire. Every day is a good day that your penis ain't on fire.

an Donalbane said...

Maybe I should clarify.

I'm not ready to court bluehairs yet, just hoping that by the time I'm elderly, I have someone to share sunsets with...

todd said...

...with somebody that won't set your penis on fire.