Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Earworm Be Gone!

You know what I'm talking about - that snippet or phrase of a song that just keeps repeating in your head.

And for antedeluvian persons like myself, whose memory may or may not be slipping, it's made worse when one can't identify the song whence the phrase came.

So, for the past two days, a bridge with the choral refrain of  "I know, I know...I know, I know...I know, I know" with a slight bass roll thrown in, has been mocking my mind, cluttering my consciousness, psearing my psyche.  I spent about 45 minutes this evening scouring my MP3 and WMA files, searching for the intrusive several bars of music.

As with so many other things, you find what you're looking for...when you're not looking.  I'd gone to the kitchen to make dinner, when inspiration struck -

ELVIS!

Elvis?  Yes, Elvis.  No, not that one.  Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus.

COSTELLO!

Since you already know about earworms, you also already know that the only way to rid oneself of one is to foist it on others - so, dear readers, I present Elvis Costello: Accidents Will Happen.



I like the part in the video where Kal-i-for-nia falls off into the Pacific.

And, in case you were wondering - Yes, I have this on vinyl from when I was in high school.

2 comments:

todd said...

I'm not clicking on that video but I did get my psyche pseared one time. More painful than earworms.

YM said...

Not a chance I'll click on that...after living with Cat Stevens in my head for 2 months.

Of course, I may be helping you vicariously because the song I thought you were talking about, Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine, is now stuck in my head...