Monday, October 17, 2011

Thoughts from the News

An occasional feature, exclusively on Sonnet 116:

Over the weekend, an interweb news article pronounced Herman Cain's Presidential aspriration to be in trouble, because he is said to have connections to the billionaire Koch brothers.
  • Gasp!  Has there ever been a confluence of money and politics before?
  • I could go for the easy quip and ask "What's the matter with brothers helping a brother out?"
  • OK, I just did.
  • But seriously, the article implied that having billionaire friends/supporters was a stain on Mr. Cain's character.
  • Are you kidding?
  • Do the names Soros, Pritzker, Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, George Lucas, David Geffen, Ken Griffin, Steven Spielberg somehow give no stigma to the incumbent President?  I'm not mentioning Gates and Buffett, as their political giving is not so partisan as the earlier group.
  • Seems like the pot calling the kettle.
  • On the Road Again - Obama takes a bus tour to North Carolina to stump for his $447 billion Stimulus II, er, jobs bill.  The President claims that independent outsiders say it could create up to 1.9 million permanent jobs.

  • That's a lot of people - a bit more than live in my whole county.
  • To give credibility to what I'm about to share, I have to disclose that I had a 750 Math SAT.
  • (Middle son got a 780 over the summer - 'course it's not as hard now as it was back in the 19XXs - we were only allowed a pocket abacus and our fingers and toes. ☺)
  • If the jobs plan performs to expectation, each created job would cost us, the taxpayers, a mere $235,263.
  • Now, I didn't attend Harvard Business School - I only have a pedestrian BBA from NTSU, um, UNT.  (My original diploma, which got misplaced years ago, said NTSU.)
  •  In any event, it doesn't sound like a very good ROI.
  • Confession: I used a scientific calculator from the Dollar Tree to do the Math.  Does that make me a divider - not a uniter?
  • With that kind of loopy logic emanating from the bus tour, I can't help wondering: Is the President borrowing Willie Nelson's bus?

2 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

This is so weird. It won't pull your last posts up on my laptop, but the home PC and Ipads it works fine.
I agree, great church.

an Donalbane said...

I had thought the problem earlier was that I hadn't released the post from the 'saved draft' folder.