Monday, October 17, 2011

¡Picánte!

From the Food desk:

I've said it before - I'm a pot cook.  No, not a dopehead, just someone who throws ingredients together to create something tasty.  And in so doing, I rarely use any measuring devices, other than to determine how large or how many containers I need to store or freeze my latest creation.  I don't do baking, because it's much more exacting as to amounts, temperatures, and time.  Women can do baking.

Tonight's was an especially good batch of homemade salsa, yielding about a quart and a half.  Here's what went into it:
  • 8 Roma tomatoes
  • 5 seedless black grapes
  • 3 Serrano peppers
  • 3 small garlic cloves
  • 2 Anaheim peppers
  • 2 sweet banana peppers
  • 1 gold bell pepper
  • 1 tomatillo
  • 1/2" slab of sweet yellow onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 nectarine
  • 1 Bosc pear
  • 1 chunk dried mango from Sprouts
  • 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies & onions (the preservatives help the fresh batch keep longer - although I drain off part of the juice)
  • 1-1/2 tsp turbinado sugar
  • Dash of lemon juice
  • Sprinkle of dried cilantro
  • Coarse black pepper
I chop most of it fairly coarsely, running the remainder through the blender.  Because I have a healthy respect for the e coli, salmonella and other nasties (even though I thoroughly wash all the ingredients before cutting them), I heat the whole batch to about 180° for several minutes before putting it into glass jars and refrigerating.

This stuff is so good that tortilla chips are just a delivery mechanism.  The flavor profile starts off a bit sweet, but then the fire kicks in - but not too much. ¡Muy sabroso!

2 comments:

todd said...

You could open up a can of Pace and get a blog post about it.

an Donalbane said...

Or fall off my footstool into the hydrangeas...