Monday, October 3, 2011

This makes some sense


I normally shy away from celebrities' advice on social issues, health, nuclear engineering, politics, and economic theorties, mostly because there seems to be an inverse relationship between 'star' fame and intelligent discourse.  I figure that if they've put in the time and effort to rise to the top of their celebrity field, they might not have a strong grasp on matters of greater import.

On the other hand, to be objective, that Greek dude So-crates from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, once tweeted that "the unexamined life is not worth living" (East Texas philosopher Henley paid homage to the concept: "...it's too long we've been living these unexamined lives.").  Examining mine, I conclude that I do my job pretty well, and I reserve the right to express my opinions - so I ought not begrudge the celebs voicing theirs - if I want my ideas to carry more weight, then I need to work to become more famous, or come up with better ideas.

So, expecting little but keeping an open mind, I read the following story about a project John Ratzenberger (Cliff from Cheers) is working on, warning that the U.S. is on the precipice of becoming a third world country by having lost its productive capacity.  Ratzenberger co-founded the Nuts, Bolts and Thingamajigs Foundation, dedicated to raising awareness of skilled trades and engineering disciplines among young people.¹  So, he's underscoring what Lido Anthony Iacocca tried to tell us a generation ago: That becoming a service/information economy of financial advisors, manicurists, barristers and burger flippers is ultimately not sustainable and won't work.  We have to re-connect with reality and  produce something, or become subservient to those nations that do (hint: Mandarin is not easy to learn).


Ratzenberger is apparently out of step with the left coast entertainment crowd, inasmuch as he is a Republican.   He has also, supposedly, been asked to run for Joseph Lieberman's Connecticut U. S. Senate seat in 2012.

¹ The Wikipedia

No comments: