Saturday, February 28, 2009

End of an Era

Iconic American broadcaster Paul Harvey died today at the age of 90.

My first memories of hearing Paul Harvey News were from listening to him on KGGF-AM 690 (Coffeyville, KS) at my grandparents' house. Later, when I was in high school, my dad and I listened to his commentary on the way to school, as well as to veteran Dallas radio presence Alex Burton.

Although most of Paul Harvey's career was based in Chicago, for me he always reflected real middle American sensibilities, likely due to his raising in Tulsa, Oklahoma. As well, the idiosyncratic cadence, the pauses, the intonations - all helped him build a huge syndication empire. His broadcasts gave voice to millions in the 'silent majority'.

In recent years, guest broadcasters frequently filled in, notably Sen. Fred Thompson (prior to his presidential primary stint), and, more recently, Dallas' own Ron Chapman.

One of the endearing features of Mr. Harvey's commentaries was the 'Parade of Roses', in which he would recognize the anniversaries of people married for 60 or 70 years or more. Having lost his wife, Angel, in 2008, I wish him, and Angel, Godspeed "on their way to forever together".



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure we know where Mr Harvey will be spending "the rest of the story". Our thanks to the Harvey family for loaning this great man to America for the past 60 years.