Friday, February 20, 2009

Interesting Change

I am in agreement with others who have noted that, with bad news on the doorstep every day, it's sometimes nice to take a break from the economic and political maelstrom.

Today I got an email from the discount movie chain where I often take the kids for a cheap night out. I have commented in the past that it can be difficult to find fare that is suitable for 2 teen boys and one young girl.

Anyway, I was surprised to find that this week's offerings are: 1 - rated G (Despereaux), 3 - PG, and 4 PG-13s. I don't know if this is a conscious effort by that particular location, or the chain, possibly to draw in more families. The same theatre recently showed "Fireproof", which achieved minor cult status among many church groups for its pro-Christianity, pro-marriage message.

I'm not necessarily against 'R' rated movies. In fact, there are some stories that will demand such a rating, if they're told truthfully. But I am against the proliferation of profanity when it serves no purpose.

Does the theatre's ratings lineup reflect a new sensibility? A sign of the times? People saying 'enough is enough'? Who knows? But it is, to me at least, encouraging.

Thank you, Cinemark.

No comments: