Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Dance

OK, so that nobody gets the idea from the last post that I'm anti-Valentine's Day, here's another take: Since I don't have a SO, I'm currently Valentine's challenged.

Anyway, last night I took my daughter to a Valentine's dance in a Denton county town near ours. Last year, we went to our hometown's Park & Rec event, but thought we'd try a change of pace. Since I'd worn my tuxedo last year, as many (but not all) dads did, I did the same this year.

I was the only one so attired. Oh, well.

This dance was more geared to families, and wasn't strictly a daddy/daughter event. Nonetheless, we had a great time, and the town's Rec department did a great job, serving hors d'oeuvres, finger sandwiches, punch and tea (our hometown last year served punch and a cookie, at a designated time) throughout the evening. There was a DJ, and they had door prize drawings for some pretty good stuff: a DVD player, iPod, shop vac, flat panel (19") DTV, twisty-stik (?) skateboards, and some games. Only $10 a couple. Oh, and they also included a picture/portrait (with a professional backdrop) of each family/couple.

Since there were many small children, and the gym floor had lots of balloons covering it, there wasn't as much dancing as I anticipated, probably a good thing for this middle-aged white guy, as well as for anyone watching. My daughter and a newfound friend spent much of the evening bringing me red, white, and pink balloons, asking me to tie them together in a bunch. My creations looked like monstrous molecular models.

We didn't win any door prizes, but we did enjoy ourselves.

And I'm grateful for the opportunity, since it probably won't be that long when it won't be cool for her dad to take her to dances.

No comments: