Monday, February 16, 2009

Presidents' Day

I guess this government holiday kind of slipped up on me.
Recently, I've celebrated such events (Veterans Day, MLK) by going to the Winchester Gallery with friends Todd the Blogger, Dewey T., or my oldest son, to punch a lot of holes of varying diameter in pieces of paper. For economics' sake, most of them are about thirty-thousandths under a quarter-inch, though we'll also usually rip through some .357 and .45 (LC & ACP) rounds, as well.

#1 son fires first rounds of .45 ACP (1911 Series 80, Mk IV)

Maybe it's well that I'm not out using ammo, as I saw last night on the news that folks are stocking up (and prices rising) due to 'The Obama Effect'. Time to dust off the reloading press.

4 comments:

todd said...

Well, you were one of the few people in the general population that was not at the gun show this weekend! I've never seen it so crowded with vendors or customers. That's one segment of the economy that is not hurting thanks to BO!

Kathleen... said...

I popped into the local nail salon today and the Asian lady who always asks after my kids inquired as to where they were?? I told her, "School!" She then, in broken English, asked, "What, they no have holiday for Presidents?"

Sad commentary. No, ma'am, they didn't. Apparently, not "important" enough anymore.

Unknown said...

I took the wife to the local range for Presidents Day. It was her first time to fire a handgun. She did rather well. She did decide that a 9mm was a little much for her, though. Also went to Wally World and their ammo case was nearly bare. Guess I need to go to Cabela's to stock up.

an Donalbane said...

Shay, I was at Cabela's this afternoon. Looked like a lot of folks had the same idea, although it didn't appear the shelves were depleted yet. I did notice prices were higher than I expected.

So, will the wife stick with the 9mm, or are you considering a .380?