Monday, February 16, 2009

Most Beautiful Car Design?

Over the weekend, I read an article that Classic & Sports Car Magazine (ever hear of that? me neither) named the 1955 Citroën DS as the most beautiful car of all time. Now, although I know my readers are a cosmopolitan lot, and surely familiar with the DS, I'll be courteous and post these pictures, just in case.












I remember seeing plenty of these, living in Vienna in the '70s, and even riding in one here in NTX that belonged to my friend's dad who was a bank president. But, Most Beautiful Car of All Time? That's crazy.

This one looks like a grouper.

If they'd picked a Deusenberg, Cord, Pierce-Arrow, a pre-'50s Packard, I'd agree. But the Citroën DS, especially in profile view, looks like it was designed by Hanna-Barbera for George Jetson. I would admit that the 2CV could get some kind of award in the homely/cute category:


3 comments:

Don Dodson said...

Why not the Pontiac Aztek or the SmartCar? Scion XB?

But seriously, the Corvette Stingray or Jaguar XKE roadster would be far better picks.

Or maybe this one.
Or this?

an Donalbane said...

D², I'd go with the Alfa.

I had a Bertone-designed Fiat 850 Spyder that I bought the summer I graduated from high school.

Lovely little car. Downhill, with a tailwind, it would go 70 mph.

David H said...

Given an unlimited budget, my vote would be an Aston Martin; DB-7, DB-9, or DB-S series